LED computer fan in keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simie

Reaction score
Brewers,
Just put a computer fan inside my keezer. Work's great. But... I put in a computer fan that has red LED lights that are on when the fan runs and that is 24-7-365...Now would Red LED with a wavelength of 633 nanometers tend to skunk the beer that is exposed in the 5 feet of beer lines inside my keezer? I've read anything below 500 nanometers would skunk beer. Anyone out there ever put any LED lighting in their keezers, and if so did it skunk the beer. Thanks..all Simie

Longer wavelength = less energy. Red should be fine. Can't be any worse than sitting in an amber bottle. Blue would be more likely to cause problems.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

Probably not, but all the same I'd clip the lead to the LEDs. They're probably wired cheaply in series so one proper cut should disable the LEDs and likely the fan is wired parallel to the LEDs.

LEDs are still transforming current to EM radiation which is never an efficient process (read: they create heat). It'll be small but still there.

That light will not be an issue - wrong wavelength and too weak. But if you'll sleep better, use some electrical tape to cover up the leds.

The heat produced by a handful of LEDs will be orders of magnitude lower than the cooling ability of a freezer.

Just put some nail polish or a piece of electrical tape over the LED if you're concerned.

Thank you so much for your replies Brewers. I really appreciate the time you guys took to help me out. Cheers
Simie

I put a multi-color LED fan in my ferm chamber. I was paranoid. I clipped the wires that run to the LEDs. It didn't effect the fan operation.

Back