Leaving my beer in secondary for almost 2 months

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbharrison

Reaction score
Alright so I am making a wheat beer with orange and coriander and have just put it into my primary bucket tonight. After 1 week in the primary I will move to a secondary carboy and will be gone for 1.5 to 2 months, wondering if the yeast will be fine for bottle carbonating when I get back. Will the yeast become active again when I feed it some more bottling dextrose?

The yeast will likely be fine, but they might take longer to carb up than usual. If you are really concerned, you could just add a bit of fresh yeast as insurance.

I'd just leave it in primary the whole time, you'll be just fine. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Wouldn't letting it sit cause off flavors from the sediment in the fermenter?

The flocculation of hefeweizen yeasts tends to be very very very slow, so i would guess you should be the least concerned with bottle conditioning issues with this brew than others.

It didn't with my beer that I left for 9 weeks in the primary. In fact, that turned out to be one of the better beers I have made.

I've gone 14 weeks in primary, never racking it over and it's been my best beer thus far.

Hmm interesting, perhaps than I may lay down a bonus batch and leave it in the primary the time I am gone and let it age in there.

I had a wheat beer that was left in the secondary for nearly 5 months...no issues with carbing up and it tasted great. Raspberry puree was added about a month into the secondary. Although, I didn't use a hefeweizen yeast with that kit. US-05 is what came with it and it was good. That was the first batch I brewed with the help of a friend. Life got busy and we weren't able to bottle when we wanted to.

Back