Leave CO2 on? Turn it off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osoling

Reaction score
Hey all,

I recently started kegging. In a book, the author stated that one can turn off the CO2 if you don't pour too often to keep any small leaks from killing your CO2 tank.

I, in fact, only pour 3 or 4 beers a week. Am I foolish for worrying about this? Smart? I do notice that my pours aren't quite consistent. How do I improve?

Thanks in advance for your sage wisdom.

If you aren't pouring often, turning off the CO2 is a good safeguard against any leaks in the system. Further, when you turn the CO2 on, listen for your keg filling with CO2. If you hear that, you have a leak in the system.

Some say remove the CO2 line completely to prohibit O2 ingress thru the line material. Then purge prior to reinstalling.

I don’t do this. I leave it installed and on. While it’s true if you have a leak you’ll lose gas. ...but I just fix the leaks.

Yeah I would keep it off. Although I pour much more than 3 or 4 a week, I only drink on Friday evenings and weekends. I turn mine off Sunday night and I just sat down for turning it on for this weekend.

I've got my kegs in 2 different freezers/coolers, don't really drink that much, and

only hook up the gas when the pour slows down.

I usually have 3-5 kegs going and maybe only hook up a keg once every

10 days. The downside is maybe my carbonation level varies a bit but It works for me. :mug:

I prolly only pour 3-4 pints a week, and I never turn my gas off.
I have 3 kegs in my kegerator and the 5 pound tank generally lasts 18-24 months.

Do you think tap houses turn off their C02 at night? ...doubt it.

I agree that Turning off every night is a bit extreme. But for those who only pour 2 days or so out the week then it's cheap insurance on the off days.

However if there is a leak, fix it as others have said.

Back