leaky out poppet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

God Emporer BillyBrew

Reaction score
So that's the problem, my poppet is oozing out beer. I filled it up with my Arrogant Bastard clone last night and gassed it up to 20 lbs. It slowly oozed beer out all night. Looked like it was only a few ounces.

I went ahead and hooked up my picnic tap to it. Is that the best I can do for now?

did you try taking a screwdriver on poppit pushing it in and wiggling until it seals better? just try to reseat the poppit while under pressure. yes you will get leakage, so keep off carpet.

something similar happened when i kegged a kolsch. kept my cool and got it to seal before too much of a mess.

The party tap will hold you. Leaky poppets mean dismantling and cleaning or more likely replacement.

I have a beer connector in my kegger that is leaking through the body and out the top of the snap ring. Then again, it might be a bad o-ring on the plug. I hate tracking down leaks.

I'll try the screwdriver trick to get by.

I've got about a half a gallon of Apfelwein left in another keg, I might just transfer and replace the poppet. It's a Firestone and I've already broken one of the three pins off in my attempt to create a passable socket with a dremel tool.

Dang things are probably higher than a cat's back from the HBS.

Hey! I lucked out, cracked o-ring. Dismantled the keg for a complete cleaning and replaced all of the rings.

Make sure you got the pressure down to 0 before you start playing with that poppet!!! Brew shower is a lot of fun to clean up after.

Back