Leaky Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratbastrd05

Reaction score
Hi all - I'm on my third batch and I believe I've got a leaky fermenter (bucket).

The evidence:
1) First batch bubbled very hardcore
2) Second batch I saw no bubbles, but it did ferment down (not to the FG that I wanted, but was done. Had a low OG so I thought perhaps that was the reason I didn't see any bubbles)
3)Third batch - Over 72 hours in, I haven't seen any bubbles. I initially used a blow off tube based on the reviews of the kit (Midwest Grand Cru), but switched to an airlock when nothing happened. When I enter my apartment, I do get a whiff of beer fermenting.

After over 72 hours, I popped the top to see if I had to buy more yeast to pitch. The result:

thumb2_20130327_203234-59211.jpg

That looks pretty good to me, so I think it's fermenting. Since my 2nd and 3rd batches haven't shown ANY visible airlock signs of fermentation, my thought is that it must be a leak in the lid of fermenter (possibly when I pried it off the first batch?)

Does that all sound pretty convincing so far?

Secondly, to replace my fermenter I plan to go glass carboy - seems like it will be easier to observe my brews. My question is, if I buy a glass carboy this weekend, should I transfer the primary over to the carboy or let it finish in the bucket? What kind of risks am I taking using a leaky fermenter? My gut, from How to Brew, is that it's not that big a problem - so I'd probably just leave it in the bucket and rely on my hydrometer to tell me when it's done in a couple of weeks.

But I wanted to bounce it off y'all and make sure my logic holds - after all, only brew #3!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Just let it go in the current fermenter. If it is leaking CO2 that is no big deal. The airlock is just an airlock, it is not a measure of fermentation. Keep it closed up so you don't get air contamination, but otherwise don't worry about it. The leaking CO2 will purge the headspace of air.

I have had issues with "leaky" buckets before as well. It should be fine. I wouldnt worry about transferring it if you dont have to.
If you plan on buying a glass carboy anyway you can transfer it just like you would for a secondary and let it settle out more before bottling/kegging.
If you are going to your local homebrew supply store then I would also pick up some keg lube. If I ferment in a bucket I use a little bit on the rubber gasket for the bucket and it fixed my no bubble issues.

Leaking CO2 is not a problem, just leave it without frequent opening the lid.
As for racking in new carboy, I wouldn't do it since leaking CO2 is not a problem.

Brewing is an excersise in learning patience. Yeast need privacy. They like dark cave like places. Minus the bats and other nasties. Leave the beer for at least two weeks, three is better, then think about opening the lid. Bubbling air locks mean nothing. Your patience will be rewarded.

The Brewer's Best ale pails don't have a seal in the lid. I hate that part. My Cooper's micro brew FV has a screw on lid,but molding flash held the seal up in 2 places. Had to trim off the flash to get the seal to work properly. Look at the seal area of the top of the bucket for mold lines. If there's some flat looking plastic stuff sticking up on the mold lines where they cross the seal area,trim it flat with an exacto knife. That cured mine so the airlock works.
If the lid really is leaking,it'll sometimes leak krausen with it that liquifies on the rings around the top of the bucket.

Ok - thanks for the tips! I didn't think it was a HUGE problem but am more reassured now.

It isn't a huge problem. In fact, it isn't a problem at all. CO2 is supposed to escape. I've been using the same bucket for over 10 years, and it leaks CO2 as well. Never had an infection. Remember, some breweries use open fermenters.

Your plastic bucket has two huge advantages over a glass carboy: (1) it doesn't allow as much light in, and beer likes dark places; and (2) it is easier to transport with significantly less risk of breakage and serious injury. If you are looking for advice, save your money for ingredients for another batch of fine, homebrewed beer instead of a potentially dangerous glass carboy.

Back