"Layering" in carboy? Flavor and Body effected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommyKy

Reaction score
Extract Oatmeal Stout. No indication if this is a "dry" stout
OG. 1.070.
Sample Gravity after Krausen and Primary Fermentation=1.029
Calculated ABV 5.25% (taken at 7 days after brewing)
*Did not add secondary sugars...will add at 10 days from brew.

We noticed 5 distinct layers in our stout after it settled in our Carboy.
I used a thief to steal off some beer to sample. The top layer (3 inch below surface) was "alcohol water" with ZERO flavor and Zero body,
Disappointed, we sampled from another 2 inches lower and our flavors had more body and depth... a bit sweet and significantly better!

Worried the beer has lost all body and darkness we expected.
Layers seen in carboy are as follows from bottom to top.
*Bottom=thin and somewhat clear.1.5"
*next layer up is very thick balck and dense. (second thickest layer 6")
*next layer is muddy and semi dense.1"
*Near top= thinner and hazy light. (largest layer 8")
*Top=very clear, light and huge alcohol content @1.5".
Will this need to be stirred prior to bottling to get a consistent flavor and alcohol for the batch at bottling?

We expected a thick and sludgy beer with heavy flavor and semi sweet malt notes. What we sampled did not taste anything like what we expected.

Can a seasoned brewer please explain why it settled like it did and if we are in jeopardy of lost flavors, or, is everything there but settled?
Will this need a light stir prior to bottling and will this restore the missing flavor and return the flavor?

I doubt if anyones ever heard of such a thing... It doesn't even make sense. The only way it could be possible would be if you did an extract partial boil and for some freak reason the yeast didn't mix the top off water during fermentation. To call that odd would be an understatement. Take gravity readings of the layers, and pics.

I doubt if anyones ever heard of such a thing... It doesn't even make sense. The only way it could be possible would be if you did an extract partial boil and for some freak reason the yeast didn't mix the top off water during fermentation. To call that odd would be an understatement. Take gravity readings of the layers, and pics.

Yeah, I wanna see pics. I had a Sprecher syrup root beer stratify in the keg once, but the only stratifying of beer I've seen is as the yeast is dropping. I'm willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that that's the case here.

Back