layer of "stuff" on carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronard

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So my first batch is still fermenting, but I have another question. Top part of the inside of my carboy is caked with some layer of crap, from when I first started fermenting and it foamed up on me... It's so thick I can't see through it. I can tip the carboy a little, and see through. There's only some bubbles on the top, so I think that's good (no obvious signs of an infection).

I'm just wonder what exactly is the stuff that is caked on?

Thanks,

Aaron

Throw a black t-shirt over the carboy, so you can't see it. Then leave it for a couple weeks. Problem solved.

Perfectly normal. What it is, is the foamed-up yeast from the krausen. Just leave it be.

Throw a black t-shirt over the carboy, so you can't see it. Then leave it for a couple weeks. Problem solved.

Perfectly normal. What it is, is the foamed-up yeast from the krausen. Just leave it be.

+1^^^, it's hard to relax. Your beer is fine.

Thanks. I won't mess with it! Looks like it will be a real pain to clean... anyone have any tips for cleaning carboys?

Aaron

Thanks. I won't mess with it! Looks like it will be a real pain to clean... anyone have any tips for cleaning carboys?

Aaron

Rinse with water to get the bulk of the yeast cake out. Put in 1/2 scoop of Oxiclean Free, fill with hot tap water, wait for a couple hours. Drain and rinse three times with clean water. That should do it. If really stubborn junk is still there (normally the Oxiclean will take care of it) use a carboy brush. :)

Aaron

Pick up some unscented OxyClean, or any of the off brand as long as they are unscented. Wal-mart has a store brand I believe. I fill my carboy up with water and add a scoop let it overnight and you will be amazed! Dump out rinse a couple of times invert, let dry and them I put aluminum foil over until the next brew day.

Latest posts

Back