Layer in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesHomeBrew93

Reaction score
Moved my brew to a secondary 5 days ago and moved out to my garage, temp stays about 55F. Noticed some separation today. I took a sample for gravity read last night and it wasn't like this. Should I be concerned? Centennial IPA kit from northern brewer
20230204_220337.jpg

Looks great. At 55 degrees you're just seeing the early part of a soft crash. Keep it going and rack the clear beer off the top after a week or so.
Thanks! This is my first batch so I appreciate the insight. Hopefully I'll have some delicious beer in a few weeks!

When your beer is actively fermenting the yeast is producing CO2 bubbles and they stir up all the trub. Once that slows the trub can start to settle. That is what you are seeing. It could have happened in the primary fermenter had you left the beer there and you would have avoided the possibility of oxidation of the beer or contamination. Beer kits often have instructions that tell you to move the beer to secondary. Throw out those instructions or at least ignore the part about moving to secondary. Very few beers will improve with secondary and very many of them can degrade by doing so.

Back