Lavender Wheat / Hefe recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwnshop

Reaction score
Hey guys,

SWMBO wants me to incorporate lavender in a beer. I have a basic hefe recipe with 3068 that I like. I figured i could brew that up and just "dry hop" with some culinary lavender after primary completes?
The recipe is really basic, I guess I'm just wondering if you guys think 3068 will clash with lavender? Im not really an expert on lavender flavour, off the top of my head i cant even get an idea of the taste of lavender...

I usually underpitch 3068 and ferment hot to get more banana than cloves. I would probably do the same here. banana-y hefe + lavender???

Here is the simple recipe:

7 lbs Wheat Malt 63.6 %
4 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) 36.4 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer [2.70 %] Boil 90.0 min 9.9 IBUs
1.0 pkg Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068)

Mash - 145 for 45 minutes and then 158 for 60 minutes.

If this is worth trying, how much lavender should i aim to use?

thanks for the advice!

It is really easy to overdo the lavender flavor. I put 1/2oz. in a 5gal pale for a week and it was way to strong. I ended up having to mix 1/3 lavender pale with 2/3 regular pale, otherwise it tasted like soap.

Start out with 1/4 oz. in a hop or tea bag in the keg for just a day or two. Make sure to swirl the keg around as well, to mix the flavor. You can always add more for a few more days, but once you overdo it, there is no going back.

I've done some experiments with Lavender, mostly for meads, but I have been planning to do a Chocolate Lavender Stout (there's a lavender farm that I officiated a wedding at years ago, and they have a cafe where there entire meal has lavendar in some form. And the most amazing thing there was the dessert which was a chocolate lavender brownie with vanilla lavender Icecream.)

Amazing flavors.

The best way that I have found to infuse lavender into things is something from Molecular Gastonomy that I stumbled on and now use for quite a few infusions for beer and mead making called "Nitrogen Cavitation" I've made amazing Lavender infused meads, used it to make my own amazing orange extract for beers, made my own gin infusions and also made hop extracts to add to the keg.

I demoed it on the brew bubbas podcast a couple years ago. You can listen to it here. It will autoplay.

1504953_10151880769719067_1622522757_n.jpg

Basically it is a "mechanical" method of quick infusion of organic materials into liquids or liquids into organic material (like quick pickles/Meat marinating) using a whipped cream dispenser (which you can get online or at bed bath and beyond) and nitrous oxide "whippets" to rapidly burst open the cell walls in the organics, force the liquid into the cells and vice versa, then after a minute or two, and doing another "burst" with a whippet you then release the pressure which pulls everything apart, and then you strain it out to separate the the liquids and the solids, then, for brewing/mead making you then add that to whatever you're using it in.

(I usually use these infusions/extracts in the keg or post fermentation (secondary or end of primary) for beers or with meads at bottling time. If I'm making a gin, or other infused spirit I'm usually just making enough to bottle it all in a small bottle or for a cocktail.

Now the liquid you use as a "base" for the infusion is up to you. If I'm flavoring a mead then I use a small amount of that mead and make a strong infusion which I then add to the bottling bucket when bottling.

I've also used plain boiled or bottle water as an infusion medium. I've also used a small amount of the beer I'm adding the infusion to. If I'm infusing a spirit, like making a flavored rum, then I just used that liquor.

Some other "base" liquids that I've tried are boiled sugar water/simple syrup- but it will ferment out.
Priming sugar at bottling time- This works great to add more flavor at bottling. Boil and cool your priming sugar, infuse it and add it to your bottling bucket- I've done it with ginger.
Lactose "simple syrup"- Boil up a solution, like you would priming sugar of lactose and water, and flavor that, and add it to the keg or fermenter. Lactose doesn't ferment out, so you will have a sweeter infusion- this works great for using Chocolate Nibs in a milk chocolate stout... it sweetens the chocolate and adds a bit of milky creaminess.
Maltodextrine Simple Syrup- same as above, but with some body and partial fermentability.

My favorite medium to use is a neutral spirit. If you can find everclear that's great, or even "moonshine" but most of the time I just use vodka, I usually just use cheap vodka that I run a couple passes through a brita water filter.

The good thing about vodka is that it will sanitize whatever the organics you're infusing into it. So you don't have to do any other pre-sanitization preparation of whatever the ingredients are.

Either way I ALWAYS soak the disassembled whipped cream maker in a container of starsan.

Before I get into specifics of how I do this, let me explain how I figure out how much I will need in the finished product.... I experiment, then scale up. (You will go through a lot of whippets doing this, so look for a good price on large amounts of them.)

What I take is a measured amount of base liquid and a small measured amount of the ingredient. And I add them together and cavitate them, and taste... if I like it, the I scale the amount I need up....

So for example if I'm bottling a gallon of lavender infused mead, I will take a measured amount of the mead. Let's say 4 ounces of mead, and 4 grams of lavender. I'll do the infusion and drink it.. If I like it then I know how much lavender I will need for my batch (in this case it's 1 gram of lavender/1 ounce of mead for a total of 128 grams of lavender.

So knowing how much I need for my overall volume I need then to make a concentrated extract. So IIRC my whip cream dispense holds a pint of liguid, so I will usually start with that as my base (in fact rarely have I needed more than that to flavor a 5 gallon batch.)

I'll put that volume in the whipped cream dispenser, then I'll put as much of the "ingredient" as I need into it, and do the process as outlined in the podcast. Basically hit it with one whippet, shake it for a minute, release the whippet and add another, shake for another minute, then vent and strain (with a sanitized strainer) into the keg or a sanitized measuring cup.

If I can't get ALL of the ingredient into that container, like with a lot of hops for instance) I will strain the old solids out from the liquids, put the liquid back into the creamer, add MORE ingredients and then repeat the process again, making a really strong extract.

(I've also with some things done this process, put everything in mason jar and add MORE ingredients, or different things and do a normal extraction for letting it sit for a week- This I find works great with citrus peels and some hard spices, it give more depth than just a straight cavitation or a straight jar infusion) This isn't necessary for lavender, just something for other ingredients... playing around is fun.

Then I strain it and add the infusion to the beer or mead I'm making it for.

This method works great for just about everything.... It really works with lavender because it doesn't alter the delicate oils in that or other soft herbs.

Also because it's a gas other than oxygen you don't run the risk of oxydizing whatever you're adding it to. You CAN do this with co2 as well, some people (including in labs) do infusions like this with regular kegging setups (with a lot of pressure) in corny kegs but with co2 it will carbonate whatever you doing, which you don't want if you're making a still mead, wine or spirit, but there are threads on here about people carbing booze infused fruit for parties.

That's an overview of how to do it, there are pictures in my FACEBOOK gallery here, of doing it with citrus and cocoa nibs, you can check it out here.

Some specifics for working with lavender- first you really want to use "Culinary Lavender" the differences are explained here. You can find it sometimes in the spice aisle of most grocery stores, but a small jar is going to be pricey, so you could look for a lavender farm in your area, look online or look at a farmer's market.

What I would do to figure out how it's going to work is, if you already don't have a version of your wheat beer ready and drinkable is find a commercial version you like, take a bottle of it, use 4 ounces of that, and maybe a quarter teaspoon of the lavender, and do an infusion, then scale that amount up to your final beer batch. If you know a commercial beer you like, and can find a clone recipe for it, then you then also have your base recipe for when you make your own.

I know this sounds complicated, and you have to buy a whipped cream dispenser and whippets, but I found that this works best for lavender, even better than straight soaking in vodka would. It's easy to test the amount ahead an scale it up, and you might find that you'll use this method for making a lot of infusions for future brews.... or cooking.

Honestly it's the ONLY way I'll make orange flavored beers ever again.... just using straight peels doesn't work as well, I do a mixture of dried peels from the homebrewshop and fresh peels, and I do a cavitation, then strain that out, and put the liquid in a jar with more peels and let that sit for a week. I get a lot of orange flavor that way.

Anyway I know it's involved, but I think it will be the best way to make a great lavender wheat beer.

If you are interested in knowing more, here is the original article by Dave Arnold of the International Culinary Institute that I stumbled upon... the comment section is as fascinating and informative as the article itself.

:mug:

I've used lavender in beer before. I brewed a batch of Alewife's Heather Ale with lavender. The recipe might be somewhere on this board, if not I could post it. It's on my list to brew again this year.

Lavender is super potent. I made a blonde ale and at bottling added 1ml of a lavender tincture I made by soaking 2oz of lavender flowers in 2oz of vodka for a few weeks.

1ml per 12oz bottle was about 2x too much. about 1/2ml and the flavor was noticeable but not overwhelming.

I'd say 1/2oz per 5 gallons in the fermenter or 25ml of tincture would probably work out well. Nice thing about the tincture is since it's soaked in vodka it's totally sanitized when it goes in :) Also you can add a little at a time so you don't overshoot and add too much.

Also make sure you're not using ornamental lavender! I have both culinary and ornamental growing in my yard. Culinary tastes like lavender, the ornamental tastes like vics vapeorub.

thanks for the responses so far guys. and Revvy WOW! I'll need to dive into that tonight after work. That really seems super interesting and a cool experiment. The tincture advice from beskone seems sound, and adding it at bottling that way would probably help to get the right balance...

I'm still wondering if 3068 fermented towards the banana spectrum would be a bad yeast choice? As I mentioned I'm not overly familiar with the flavour of lavender and this is being done at the request of SWMBO, so I just dont know if a banana-y hefe will mingle well with lavender?

Hey guys,

SWMBO wants me to incorporate lavender in a beer. I have a basic hefe recipe with 3068 that I like. I figured i could brew that up and just "dry hop" with some culinary lavender after primary completes?
The recipe is really basic, I guess I'm just wondering if you guys think 3068 will clash with lavender? Im not really an expert on lavender flavour, off the top of my head i cant even get an idea of the taste of lavender...

I usually underpitch 3068 and ferment hot to get more banana than cloves. I would probably do the same here. banana-y hefe + lavender???

7 lbs Wheat Malt 63.6 %

thanks for the advice!

Hate to come right out and say it, but a banana-clove-vanilla-lavender-wheat sounds disgusting. If I were going to 'lavender-ize' a wheat, I might try it with something a little drier, like a wit, but the hefe, esp. with the 3068, would have so many competing flavors it may end up 'muddy'.

Hate to come right out and say it, but a banana-clove-vanilla-lavender-wheat sounds disgusting. If I were going to 'lavender-ize' a wheat, I might try it with something a little drier, like a wit, but the hefe, esp. with the 3068, would have so many competing flavors it may end up 'muddy'.

Yeah, like i said i dont really know what lavender tastes like so i wasnt sure if the 3068 would clash too much.

Ok so I guess I should put together a pretty basic neutral wit recipe? or a basic neutral blonde?

You might have to buy a commercial hefe and just try a taste test. I'm not a fan of the style so I wouldn't know how it would go or not.

I'm into flavor pairings for cooking, that's where I get a lot of ideas also for experimental beers... I usually google "food pairings with."

This came up for lavender. I might consider a honey blonde or a wit, a not a hefe.... still wheat based, but not with such an overpowering yeast....

I just googled Lavender Beers... I didn't know one of Michigan's Breweries had one... Gotta check it out.

But this gives you some ideas of what's been done...there's even an hbt thread.

I just googled Lavender Beers... I didn't know one of Michigan's Breweries had one... Gotta check it out.

But this gives you some ideas of what's been done...there's even an hbt thread.

Right Brain makes that one and it is very good.

I have used lavender three times with three different varieties. French lavender is my favorite so far and will be my go to next time.

I have used lavender three times with three different varieties. French lavender is my favorite so far and will be my go to next time.

care to share a recipe that turned out good?

care to share a recipe that turned out good?

It was in a Belgian pale ale I have been tweaking over the past two years. That year I grew French Lavender in my garden and used what little I could harvest. When I get home I can post the recipe for you. My next goal is to make a sort of Saison du buff with lavender and other herbs. Most of the time I tend to brew to style so experiments are a rarity.

It was in a Belgian pale ale I have been tweaking over the past two years. That year I grew French Lavender in my garden and used what little I could harvest. When I get home I can post the recipe for you. My next goal is to make a sort of Saison du buff with lavender and other herbs. Most of the time I tend to brew to style so experiments are a rarity.

That woukd be great. I dont really do experiment brews either so i dont trust myself to come up with my own recipe for this

Ok im thinkong just a base american wheat recipe and then adding the lavender at bottling (either by revvy's infusion method or simple tincture).
So i have just looked through some recipes and im thinking of doing this one:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=238940
Seems like a pretty typical recipe, though the kolsch yeast is a bit interesting.
Anyone have any opinioms about this? Should i work out a different approach or just go for it?
Thanks!

Hey guys,

7 lbs Wheat Malt 63.6 %

thanks for the advice!

so I was wondering when seeing Lavender in my Homebrew Store where it could possibly be a good fit...

I do lots of things with Lavender - brewing isn't among them...

Lavender has a tendency to have a very perfumy/soapy taste... Ever since I saw it in my HBS I am wondering what it would pair nicely with...

I was thinking of substituting Coriander in my wit beer with Lavender some day. Yet I would use much less Lavender and would probably refrain from crushing it.

It seems to make sense to me since Lavender and Orange go well together. That is the only reasonable (maybe?) use I could think of so far.

It might be nice as a hint of spice in a bloodorange or grapefruit beer...

Hi Revvy

Thanks for the info, I was planning a lavender cider as well and you saved me some research and gave me an excuse to bring a whip cream maker into the house without having to reference Phish or the Dead in the justification process to SWMBO.

Isi Whipper arrived over the weekend, (1 qt size)

I added 4oz cider - room temp - then 2 fresh raspberries ( 6 grams ) 1 blackberry ( 3 grams ) and 1 gram of dried cranberries, cracked one whippet, swirled 30 seconds, let sit another minute, then cracked a second - degassed and strained...nothing? No flavor, no color, no cloudiness, at all from the berries. Did it a second time, let sit for 2 minutes and swirled. No berry flavor at all?

I was trying to establish the right amount of fruit to add the base before creating a concentrate as you suggest, but at that amount of liquid and fruit in a 1 qt whipper, nothing happens. Your is half that size, do I need to add more liquid?

However if I take the same 4 oz and put it in a mason jar overnight in the fridge, with 1-2 berries and a gram of dried berry, I get a huge flavor and color infusion, so what am I doing wrong?

Hi Revvy

Thanks for the info, I was planning a lavender cider as well and you saved me some research and gave me an excuse to bring a whip cream maker into the house without having to reference Phish or the Dead in the justification process to SWMBO.

Isi Whipper arrived over the weekend, (1 qt size)

I added 4oz cider - room temp - then 2 fresh raspberries ( 6 grams ) 1 blackberry ( 3 grams ) and 1 gram of dried cranberries, cracked one whippet, swirled 30 seconds, let sit another minute, then cracked a second - degassed and strained...nothing? No flavor, no color, no cloudiness, at all from the berries. Did it a second time, let sit for 2 minutes and swirled. No berry flavor at all?

I was trying to establish the right amount of fruit to add the base before creating a concentrate as you suggest, but at that amount of liquid and fruit in a 1 qt whipper, nothing happens. Your is half that size, do I need to add more liquid?

However if I take the same 4 oz and put it in a mason jar overnight in the fridge, with 1-2 berries and a gram of dried berry, I get a huge flavor and color infusion, so what am I doing wrong?

Some things probably infuse better one way than another. I haven't tried every ingredient in there.

I know it works for spices, I know it works for lavender, I know it works chocolate nibs, I know it works for citrus peels. I know it works for hops.

It never occured to me to do fruit so I can't tell you if it works or not.

Personally with fruit I think about adding that to a primary or secondary, not doing an infusions.

I would look at articles on molecular cocktails to see if they use fruit.

Don't know if you need a ton of it to get an extraction and that's why it didn't work for you. I know when I'm adding fruit to a beer, I use a lot of it... so that might be the issue.

Back