Latest cider batch is a success NO STINK NO CHOKE NO JOKE

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamesfromdogriver

Paw paw James from dog River
Reaction score
My very latest creation is my most fabulous. I used a cheap couple bottles apple juice from concentrate. Was told that would not work. Cleared up that myth. I used common bread yeast 1 teaspoon, 1 teaspoon of yeast nutrient, 2 cups sugar, warmed up the juice to 90f and cleaned my fermenter as best I could with dish liquid. Let it kick for most of July in the pantry. Re-racked it yesterday morning in the same containers I got from the store. I rinsed them out real good and saved them when I started the batch. Tried 2 wine glasses of it last night late. Ass kicking stuff.

I did that once. Tasted like bread. Sure, it's got alcohol and tastes a little bit like apple. However, higher quality ingredients definitely make a higher quality cider.

Do what you like.

I aint never had any real cider we don't make it here in south Alabama but I have been making wine for a few years now and what I do s light years better than my dad was proud of so yeah this stuff to me is killer.

I aint never had any real cider we don't make it here in south Alabama but I have been making wine for a few years now and what I do s light years better than my dad was proud of so yeah this stuff to me is killer.

Try the same recipe and split it into two batches: 1 with your way and another with just cider yeast. See how they compare...just food for thought.

You can get ten 5 gram packs of Cotes Des Blancs yeast on Amazon for $7 and that's enough to make 50 gallons. It'll last you awhile and it tastes good, works well in the southern heat and ferments out in about 7 days.

You can get ten 5 gram packs of Cotes Des Blancs yeast on Amazon for $7 and that's enough to make 50 gallons. It'll last you awhile and it tastes good, works well in the southern heat and ferments out in about 7 days.
I gone look for that and use 1 teaspoon per gallon like I do the bread yeast you suppose?

I use 1 pack Cote des Blancs per 5 gallons, or half a pack for 2-3 gallons. You can use a partial pack and save the rest in the refrigerator.

Like @nilanxz suggests.... I currently have about 8 packs in my fridge for eventual use. Amazon is cheap!

I never thought to try bread yeast in cider, but I just picked up some discount juice so I think I'll give it a go.

You can- but bread yeast doesn't flocculate well and leaves a no-too-good taste behind. On the plus side, it doesn't ferment out fully so leaves some sweetness behind.

Bread yeast actually often costs more than red star wine yeasts. Wine yeast at my brew store is 59 cents a pack, enough for 6 gallons of cider/wine/mead. Bread yeast in the strips was significantly more!

You can- but bread yeast doesn't flocculate well and leaves a no-too-good taste behind. On the plus side, it doesn't ferment out fully so leaves some sweetness behind.

Bread yeast actually often costs more than red star wine yeasts. Wine yeast at my brew store is 59 cents a pack, enough for 6 gallons of cider/wine/mead. Bread yeast in the strips was significantly more!
A local bulk foods store sells dry bread yeast in plastic tubs way cheaper than the packs in the supermarket. I keep some in my fridge for when I get the urge to make some bread, it lasts for years.
Also, I'm wondering if the "bad rap" bread yeast has gotten over the years would be different if yeast nutrient was used, proper re-hydration was performed (including using go-ferm protect), and fermenting temperature was controlled. I'm going to try it, and when it stops, give it good cold crash in my freezer/fermentation chamber and see if I can get the yeast to drop a little bit better. If not, I'll just age it in the basement for a long time and see if it improves.
I'm not expecting much, so if I get anything drinkable I guess I'll be pleased.
I don't brew all that much in the summer, too much other stuff to do, but I can throw together some cheap juice and bread yeast pretty quick.

A local bulk foods store sells dry bread yeast in plastic tubs way cheaper than the packs in the supermarket. I keep some in my fridge for when I get the urge to make some bread, it lasts for years.
Also, I'm wondering if the "bad rap" bread yeast has gotten over the years would be different if yeast nutrient was used, proper re-hydration was performed (including using go-ferm protect), and fermenting temperature was controlled. I'm going to try it, and when it stops, give it good cold crash in my freezer/fermentation chamber and see if I can get the yeast to drop a little bit better. If not, I'll just age it in the basement for a long time and see if it improves.
I'm not expecting much, so if I get anything drinkable I guess I'll be pleased.
I don't brew all that much in the summer, too much other stuff to do, but I can throw together some cheap juice and bread yeast pretty quick.

Well, no. My fermenting cabinet is a steady 64-66 degrees all year around, and it's not that it was fermented hot or without nutrients (for example, raisins).

The bad rap is that it doesn't flocculate well (and if it does, if you move the container, it's worse than a snow globe), and it had a distinctive "bread" flavor that is very weird in cider and wine. I've used it in the Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, and it tasted ok because of the cinnamon and oranges, but if you so much thought about touching the bottle, the yeast resuspended. It's just not that good, compared to other very cheap wine yeasts.

Honey is expensive, so I'll never do it with mead again, but apples are cheap or free, so if you want to try it you'll only be out the time if you don't like it.

I gone look for that and use 1 teaspoon per gallon like I do the bread yeast you suppose?

That is too much, each pack contains 5 grams which is about a teaspoon, but you only need 1g per gallon. I personally use a small digital scale to weigh it out, they also cost about $10 on Amazon.

So basically one pack is enough for 5 gallons, you can probably eyeball a gallon amount though as it would be a 5th of the package.

Back