Large water boiler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RopesByEDK

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have an odd request. My side job has me heating a lot of water to boil to dye yarn.

I typically end up bringing water to a boil. Currently I use an old Mash & boil, and a grainfather sparge water heater for these purposes. Combined I can heat a total of 13 Gallons of water from tap to a boil in about an hour.

Now I always run into the issue of needing more boiling water. I was thinking of just getting a 20 gallon or so brewpot, tossing an element in, and putting it on a controller.

Any idea if there is something existing that does this for a reasonable price? Or can someone help me out?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edit - I am thinking a single or pair of the 17Gal digiboils may be my best bet at the moment.

Last edited:
An reason it needs to be in a metal pot? You could install a heater element in a large bucket like this peco. There are several electrical diagrams for a single vessel controller. The PID could just be replaced with pulse wave modulation unit, so its controlled with a knob. For large buckets and drums look for a local army surplus/ prepper store. You can get used 30 gal plastic drums for cheap or sometimes lined steel drums

Depends on where you live. In the UK, where higher voltage is the standard, electric kettles such as water boilers are common up to 10g and above sizes and fairly inexpensive. A lot of brewers overseas use these for brewing. Here in the US, where 120v is the common electrical connection, most water boilers are limited to around 5 total gallons. If you're looking to build something to heat water at 10g and higher, if you're limited to 120v, get a 1650watt element and a simple pid, stick it in the side of a pot, and you're good to go. Doesnt have to be stainless if its just water. Can be aluminum, but if you're going up to boiling temps i would definitely avoid a bucket as a poster mentioned above. That will definitely start to warp at anything above 130-150 degrees.

Just get a cheap aluminum pot, the element, build a housing for it, properly ground it, plug it into a gfci outlet through a controller, and you're good to go. Probably under $100 total.

Just be aware of the heat-up times. 120v 1650watt can heat the water to a boil, but its going to take a few hours. I have a 120v herms system running 10 gallon kettles and my heat up time for my HLT from ground water to 152 is around 2 hours. 152 to 170 for mashout another 15-25 minutes, and then 170 to boil is around 45 minutes with the lid on. I do have to keep the lid 3/4 on the kettle to maintain a good boil. With the lid off it will definitely not be a vigorous boil at all, and thats with 6.5 to 7 gallons, not 10 or higher. 10 might not boil at all, even with a lid on.

A 2000 watt element will help get you there quicker, and should help boil better, but you'll need a 20amp outlet for that.

Plastic bucket boilers are fine. They've been used for years (see here) and were very common in the UK a number of years ago (they may still be but I sopped paying attention). The bucket won't collapse, but you won't want to move it when its full and hot. You could get a plastic 15-30 gal barrel, put two 120V elements and run them to two different circuits. Two 20-A kitchen outlets would get you 4000W. Ad a couple of still dragon controllers to control the boil, and there's the cheapest option. Just be sure the whole thing is grounded and in a GFCI outlet.

Back