Large Kettle Options - 55 Gallons And Up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewinginct

Reaction score
I'm trying to get an idea of what the options are for large kettles. I'm looking for something at least 55 gallons and not much more, maybe 80-100 gallons max. I'd prefer something with a sight gauge, thermometer and drain valve pre-installed.

At first I was considering either a 55 gallon Blichmann Boilermaker or a kettle from Bubba's Barrels. Both are quality products, and when you factor in accessories and other installation costs, there isn't a huge price difference. I also looked at Stout, Glacier and Psychobrew, but the price ruled them out.

I've been scouring craigslist and other brewing forums without luck. I could start looking for a used dairy tank, but time is a factor and the final cost to convert the tank could add up pretty quick.

What options are there for larger kettles?

I think you have most of the bases covered unfortunately. If you don't want to pay for a purposed product ala Stout, then either convert a SS barrel or get lucky with a dairy kettle. Another thing to look for is new breweries expanding past their 3bbl rigs. Wouldn't surprise me if you could get a deal since most breweries don't have spare room to just store equipment and hold out for a great price.

Back