Large blow off tube question???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thenatibrewer

Reaction score
i just tried a new technique on a phat tyre amber ale. i used a 5 gallon carboy to primary ferment in. i used a large blow off tube, but the fit was not real tight so i "duck taped the tube in place"??? i know it sounds funny but it seemed to work well. within 12 hrs fermentation started and krausen was being blown off nicely. this was on thursday, today i checked it and i could "smell" the beer through the duck tape. so i panicked and removed the blow off tube and installed a s type air lock. the majority of the krausen had stopped so i thought i would be fine. as a side note i did try to keep the tape as clean as possible? any thoughts? thanks.

I would say to go get a proper sized blow-off tube. I wouldn't risk the duct tape. However, as a stop-gap measure (pun intended) you will probably be OK.

thenatibrewer said:
i guess proper size is a relative term???
As is "real tight". I know that when I use a blow-off tube it fits pretty snugly down the throat of the carboy. What is the OD of the tube you are using?

I use a no hub plumbing fitting that is 1'1/2 to 1'1/4 that has hose clamps. My blow off hose would fit tight inside carboy but this way, there is no chance that it will push out.

You really oughta be using a 6.5g carboy. I'm not positive, but I think the opening is a little smaller, plus you have more room for the krausen to start with.

Back