Dry Hopper + Blow Off ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually you can do that. Attach the blow off to the top qc keeping the valve open until you are ready to drop hops. Now close the valve place your hops in the tube, purge the air, equalize the pressure then slightly increase the pressure to the tube and drop.

That's what I was thinking but in my mind I am seeing a blow out and the hop cylinder getting full of krausen. Perhaps my imagination is just running wild.

As long as you are making a 5 gallon batch in your 7 gal fermenter there is literally no concern of krausen reaching the hop dropper. I use a hop dropper on a 5 gal conical with no clogging by krausen. Lack of head space is the main contributor of clogging top attachments. You should have more than sufficient head space with that fermenter.

You should be able to take off the sight glass, but leave the ball valve connected to the fermenter. Then buy a 1.5" TC blow off tube/cane and connect it to the ball valve. Leave it open during fermentation, and close it when ready to swap back in the sight glass/hop dropper. You will still need to purge the air from the hop dropper anyway, so I don't see a problem with just swapping them in and out when you need them.

Back