Lambic + 6 lbs of Cherry Puree in 5 gallon vessel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivzavod

Reaction score
I want to do a Lambic and add cherries 9 months later. How much space should I allocate for the addition of the fruit? What it be wise to siphon off 1 gallon of 9 months Lambic and move it into 1 gallon. After 6 months on the fruit I can add 1 gallon of fresh wort and let it sit for 3 months to eat it all up.

Is this feasible or should I use another vessel? I am asking because I just got 2 x 5 gallon generic BB bottles from AHS. One is for Afpelwein and the other for sours

Bottle the gallon at 5 months (give yourself a treat), and add the cherries to replace it. Don't forget to add the stones.

OR add the gallon of 9-month old Lambic to 4 gallons of freshly fermented wort to start a second batch.

I meant 9 months; that is what you have in your first post.

Yes, and 9 months is young, but if you buy a fresh JP, I bet it is less than 9 months from initial brew.

Are you planning on doing five gallons in that five gallon BB carboy? If so, are you planning on doing a primary only in it? Lambic is a wheat beer and will have a vigorous initial fermentation so if you are using a five gallon carboy for a five gallon batch expect to lose a noticeable amount to blow off. Lambic is typically done primary-only but that doesn't mean you couldn't use the BB as a secondary and pitch your bugs there.

I can use fermcap to control the krausen. I want to dedicate this carboy as sour vessel and in the case of this lambic I would want to do only primary and dump the fruit on remainder of the wort + yeast cake.

Back