Lagering Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hockeygreg44

Reaction score
I am fermenting a Maibock right now and the primary fermentation is almost done and I am going to transfer soon to my secondary fermentor. I was reading the instructions again and I noticed that to Lager, I have to allow my batch to ferment between 35 and 40 degrees. I really do not have a way of keeping my batch that cold other than keeping it in an insulated garage ( I live in WI so it is starting to get cold out) that never freezes. Any help would be great.

Tell us more: what yeast are you using and what temperature are you fermenting at? What is the lowest temperature you can achieve for lagering (lagering is the storage period)? How is it "getting cold" in Wisconsin when it is 75 degrees in Winnipeg, which is hundreds of miles more northerly than Wisconsin?

FYI when your beer gets to 35 or 40 degrees it is no longer called "fermenting" because the yeast (in general) will be dormant in that temperature range (although I have read about fermentation into the low 40s). And "lagering" is probably best at more like 30 or 32 degrees.

The short answer to your question is "keep it as cold as you can for one week per eight gravity points." i.e. if your Maibock had an OG of 1.064 you would be looking at eight weeks for a recommended lagering time. Few homebrewers have the patience for this, and as I understand it the vast majority of commercial breweries would be nowhere near that length of time. If you can give it a month, you're doing well.

Not to be mean but why would you attempt a lager without knowing what "lagering" is? I'm just now doing a lager on my 5th AG. Buy a cheap deep freezer asap!

Latest posts

Back