Lagering procedure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kent88

Sometimes I have to remind myself
Staff member
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just did my first all-grain batch (pitched yeast on June 22). Its a 1-gallon Munich SMaSH (with a little light DME, but I'm calling it a SMaSH) and I am using Saflager 34/70 (my first lager too). I've been keeping it between 50F-60F and with this being my first lager I'm wondering where to go from here.

I'm thinking about racking it to secondary (another 1-gallon carboy) after 10 or 11 days, leaving it in the lager fridge at the same temperature range for 3-4 weeks, then bottling (maybe adding a little bit more yeast) and back to the lager fridge for another 4-6 weeks.

Is that a good way to proceed, or should I modify my plan? I've been reading that some people let their lager carbonate at warmer temperatures, is that necessary to have a well carbonated lager? Is that enough time to lager? Are there any problems I might not be anticipating (its my first lager, I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing)?

First, I'd suggest you search the forums here and google "lager process homebrew" - you'll find lot's of info and some ideas on improving your process. My observations are, your fermentation temperature may be too high, 10 - 11 days may not be enough - you'll need to verify with your hydrometer, you should do a diacetyl rest, and your lager temp should be near freezing for up to six months.

Best of luck!

the only issue i see is that usually you'll lager after the fermentation is done at a cooler temperature, in the 30s typically.

if you bottle after a relatively short lagering period (say primary fermentation + 2 weeks at a colder temp), you could skip adding yeast and the d-rest could be done in the bottle. then once they are carbed, you could move the bottles into your fridge for another 4-6 weeks before drinking. just a thought.

I've been doing my first temperature controlled lager also. I plan on doing a diacetyl rest when fermentation is about 75% complete and then cold crash to 35 for about 2-3 weeks. I'm going to hold it to 4 weeks total in carboy because I don't like to transfer to secondary unless necessary and I don't want autolysis flavors. I don't have kegs yet so I'm going to carbonate in bottles at room temp. I will then put them back in the fridge to finish lagering in the bottle.

I've done some searching around now, and it looks like there is more to it than keeping the lager at the optimum yeast temperature. I thought that lagering was just letting it sit at those temperatures for a couple months.

So now I'm thinking that after 18 or 19 days I'll do a 36 hour diacetyl rest (temp range of 57F-62F), rack to a secondary carboy, and start slowly dropping the temperature range to 36F-40F degrees, where I will leave it for about 4-6 weeks. Then I'll do the bottling.

Is that a better way to do things? I guess this plan is to primary ferment almost 3 weeks, d-rest, rack, lager for 4-6 weeks, carbonate (for what, a month? at 49F-55F?), then lager again. Would that make some good beer?

I've done several lagers, here's what I learned.
1. Keep it in the primary at around 55F for 2 weeks.
2. Do your diacetyl rest for about 3 days at 68-70F. If you thought far enough ahead to pull off a quart of wort, and put it in a sanitized jar stored in the fridge, pour it in your fermenter now. It will kick off some new fermentation and make sure your diacetyl problem goes away.
3. Transfer to secondary fermenter. Begin the lagering phase. I usually lager at 31F for between 4 and 8 weeks, or as long as I can stand it.
4. Transfer to a keg, and carbonate with CO2 @ 30psi. Shake or rock keg to introduce CO2 into solution. Drink about 3 hours later.

dont set your fermentation to a schedule. you want to start your d-rest towards the end of fermentation (ideally 75% thru), so waiting almost 3 weeks before doing so could be too late. YMMV, but almost all of my lagers are ready for a d-rest after a week. I'd keep your ferment closer to 50F as well

also, be sure to carbonate as normal (room temp, 3+ weeks) before your 2nd set of lagering (given you find that necessary)

I don't have any kegs, and pulling a quart off of a one-gallon batch is asking a bit.

Also, I didn't take a gravity reading prior to pitching yeast, which wasn't smart. I keep reading that anything collected for testing using a hydrometer shouldn't be re-introduced into the fermenter because it could cause an infection. I'm doing one gallon batches for right now, so I don't really want to have to discard that much beer. Am I just being paranoid?

My *slowly* dropping the temp to the 35F-40F range is due to another project that requires the fridge to stay at that 50F-60F temperature range for a little more than a month after yeast was pitched for this. I thought they could co-habitate. Will there be any problem lagering it at 50F-55F for about 10 days, then dropping to 35F-40F for another 4 weeks (or so)?

Will there be any benefit to lagering after carbonation is complete (other than the beer being ready to drink whenever I want)? Is there any issue having the carbonation at temperatures higher than the range the yeast is said to prefer (about room temperature)?

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Hey guys, I have a question regarding lagering...

My Pilsner is nearly done, just warmed up for the d rest, and planning on kegging for lagering this weekend. I was planning on lagering in my kegerator, which is at about 37-40°, is this cool enough for the lagering storage? Or should I find something cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hey guys, I have a question regarding lagering...

My Pilsner is nearly done, just warmed up for the d rest, and planning on kegging for lagering this weekend. I was planning on lagering in my kegerator, which is at about 37-40°, is this cool enough for the lagering storage? Or should I find something cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It's going to be fine. I've found that going colder for longer makes the lager crisper, but lagering for a shorter period of time works pretty well also.

Latest posts

Back