Lagering in the great outdoors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primalyeti

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

So I want to try lagering, I think it'd be awesome if I could actually pull it off. Now I don't have an extra fridge or anything to lager it in or ferment at the colder temps, but I do live in canada and fall is rapidly approaching so I was thinking of wrapping my primary in a blanket and leaving it outside in the cold for fermentation, transferring it to a secondary and then putting it back outside.

Is the slow drop in temp really important, or can I just leave it outside and see what happens? In the end, I'll probably give it a try and see what happens, but I wonder if anyone else has tried this.

Cheers!

i never tried actually fermenting a lager outside, but i have lagered (cold storage) outside many times with great success. it gets a little dicey as nighttime lows fall into the mid 20s, though.

Yeah, the long term forceast for October looks like it will be averaging 14 (57) in the day and 7 (44) at night, might have to push it to November, which looks like it will average 7 (44) and 3 (37).

I can probably ferment it the last two weeks of october, then let it lager all through november/december when it will be colder.

I wonder how the fluctuation of the temps will affect things. Im hoping wrapping it in a blanket, or maybe a bucket of water will help stabilize the temp

i would be concerned about temperature fluctuation during fermentation and much less so during lagering.

Latest posts

Back