Lagering in my basement???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00t

Reaction score
Right now my basement is at a high of 63 degrees F & low at 60 degrees F, how hard is this fluctuation on lager yeast? White labs WLP810 optimal fermentation temp is 58-65°F but I'm worrying about the temp swings.... or do i just need to RDWHAHB and let primary fermentation happen there then lager in the fridge?

Yep, a swing of 3 degrees is nothing to worry about. The fermenting beer is usually a few degrees warmer, however, so a LCD strip thermometer on the side of the carboy is a good idea to monitor actual fermentation temperature.

Option 2. :)

I tend to agree. Even if you had a lagering freezer with temperature controller, your flucuations would be around +/- 3 degrees. The big swings are when you go from 65 to 75 degrees or more. I would say you should be ok. Plus you need to first ferment around 60-65 anyways. Hopefully the weather will turn colder once your primary fermentation is complete. Good luck man. Have a homebrew for me.

The temperature swing isn't a problem but I don't think I would primary a lager that close to the upper end of temp range. I just don't think it would be as clean tasting as a lager should be, it would be more like a cali common.

hmm.. ok, awesome... should i use diff type of yeast? I'm not exactly 100% on the above. But THANKS, for the green-light , what about pacman??? Again, maybe I should worry about pitching diff yeast later...............
well within the temp range of it with very little variation
how much of variation in temp before it detracts?

I would say that if your temperature swing is only from 63F to 60F, you will be ok. If you go from 70F to 60F, that would definitely give you some off flavors. So I guess the real answer to your question is, try not to stress your yeasties too much. Be gentle with them and they will in turn help to make great beer.

Are you monitoring the temperature swings at counter top level or is your primary sitting on the floor where the temperature may actually be a few degrees cooler? If you are at counter top level, try placing the primary on the floor to achieve slightly lower temps.

I use the basement bathroom where my winter temperature on the floor can get as low as 50 degrees. I named my first lager created there "**** House" and it was well recieved by friends and family.

Salute! :mug:

counter top level... I'll have to see what that will bring the temp to

Back