Lager Yeast Keeps on Trucking Even After D-Rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J8D

Reaction score
Having done six lagers, I think/thought that through trial and error, I had the process pretty well figured out but still have a few questions. For the lager in question, I had reduced activity (but could still see actually bubbles coming up from the bottom) in the airlock and assumed it was about time to do a diacetyl rest. I took a hydrometer and was three points off from my target FG. The sample tasted GREAT. I realize that I should have done a d-rest earlier. However I went ahead and brought the beer up to 65 and watched it for 48 hours expecting to see an increase or even a decrease in activity. I continued to have visible bubbles rising from the bottom so I left for another 48 hours and still could see bubbles rising. Normally I would have transferred to secondary and begun the three degree a day drop to lagering temps. Yet with two failed lagers in the past, I wanted to ensure I had a complete fermentation prior to lagering. So I went ahead and started dropping it back down three degrees a day until I hit fermentation temperatures expecting to see all visible activity cease. Well a week later, I can still see bubbles coming up from the bottom.
Any recommendations? Should I rack and lager? Leave it longer?

Thank you.

Gravity readings the same today and a day or two later will confirm completion. Bubbles could just be off gassing at this point.

Gravity readings the same today and a day or two later will confirm completion. Bubbles could just be off gassing at this point.

samc,

What exactly is "off gassing"? Is it just gas being released or pressed out of the compacting yeast cake? Thank you!!!!

I have the same thing going on right now. I'm lagering my first Bock, highest OG of any lager I've ever brewed.

When I started the diaceytl rest, it was at 1.022, with my intended final gravity being 1.018. When I racked to the lagering vessel, it was at 1.021 and still showing signs of activity.

I decided that I prefer to have a slightly higher FG (it is a bock afterall), rather than leave it at 64-65 for a few more days, so I put it in the lagering freezer. I usually crank the temp straight down to 33, but this time I'm going to gradually get it down there over the next few days so that hopefully the remaining yeast can knock the FG down a point or two.

CO2 in suspension in liquid will bubble out more at warmer temps. When you bring beer up for the d-rest, some of the bubbling is just CO2 in the beer that will pop out at the higher temp. So bubbling observed after a temp raise are not an indication of fermentation really, so if you see more bubbles than you expect don't worry.

The short answer is simply do not rack until the beer is at FG. FG isn't a number on the recipe- it's the actual reading you get at least three days in a row that doesn't change.

so, if the SG is changing, you're not ready to rack and begin lagering. If the SG is taken today, and it's still the same on Sunday, then the beer can be racked and lagering begun.

Sure, there might be some airlock activity due to off-gassing as co2 is released out of suspension or not- but that doesn't matter a bit.

Back