Lager started fermenting only after 5 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angelito

Reaction score
So I am brewing my second larger (more experienced with ales) and was my first time using liquid yeast (normally using dry yeast). I am not sure exactly why (maybe due to reach at some point in time 7 degrees - right now is at 11 degrees), but my lager has only starting fermenting after 5 days. Should I add more yeast or let it be? Any advice? Thanks

Are you sure it didn't start for 5 days? If so, how do you know?

7C is pretty cold. If you got off to a slow start, that could be at least part of the reason. What is the batch size and how much yeast did you pitch? And what yeast strain?

To answer your question... if it's fermenting, no, do not add more yeast. The way yeast works is it will replicate (breed and generate more yeast) first, then it will start fermentation. If it's doing its thing fermenting now, leave it alone. The flavor profile is set, and it's going at what it needs to do.

Latest posts

Back