Lager Secondary - Still need to be cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codeblue2k

Reaction score
So I have been fermenting a Vienna Lager. Since I dont have a spare fridge to use I have been keeping everything cold with a cold water bath and ice blocks. Well the directions for my recipe call for 2 weeks in the primary and then 2 in the secondary. So my question is, do I need to still maintain the temp the cold water bath once the beer is in the secondary? Or could I just let it sit a room temp since the yeast should have settled by that point?

Did you do a D-Rest? We have a thread going on about this same subject. Ill see if i can link to it.

You need to lager in the cold, that would be in secondary. Two weeks doesn't seem all that long to me for a lagering phase. But yeah you lager in the cold.

Did you do a D-Rest? We have a thread going on about this same subject. Ill see if i can link to it.

D-reset? Sorry im not sure what that is. Its still in the primary right now, but I was planning on moving it to the secondary on Monday.

Diacetyl is roughly speaking an off flavor that is pretty common to lagers (although it does occur in ales)and also at times is not conisdered a bad thing. But in this case it is often a product of lager yeasts. If often manifests as a buttery taste and or slimy mouth feel.

The best way to clear it from lagers is to let the beer warm up to room temps for a few days, before rackign it to secondary and lagering it.

More info here.

Back