Lager recipe with only 2 Row

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
??

image.png

Two of my favorite lagers are Vienna lager and German pilsner.

Both are simple- Vienna lager is 100% Vienna malt, and a pilsner can be 100% pilsner malt, or 90% pilsner malt and 10% carapils.

I've never done a lager with 100% American two-row, but I have done very few American style lagers. You could do one with 95% two-row, and 5% Munich malt for a malty style lager, or 95% two-row and 5% light crystal for a base for other American lagers.

I wouldn't use special B- it has such a strong raisin/toffee flavor that stands out that I tend to use it more in darker beers or in "bigger" beers. Honey malt could be nice, if you like it (I don't).

The honey might be a good addition. This is from the style guidelines for a German pils: " Profile:
Aroma: Medium-low to low grainy-sweet-rich malt character (often with a light honey and slightly toasted cracker quality) and distinctive flowery, spicy, or herbal hops." Let us know how it turns out!

+1 what Yooper said. I can't imagine Special B in a lager. It's just too strong of a flavor IMO. I haven't used honey malt enough yet to provide much of an opinion.

Two of my favorite lagers are Vienna lager and German pilsner.

Both are simple- Vienna lager is 100% Vienna malt, and a pilsner can be 100% pilsner malt, or 90% pilsner malt and 10% carapils.

I've never done a lager with 100% American two-row, but I have done very few American style lagers. You could do one with 95% two-row, and 5% Munich malt for a malty style lager, or 95% two-row and 5% light crystal for a base for other American lagers.

I wouldn't use special B- it has such a strong raisin/toffee flavor that stands out that I tend to use it more in darker beers or in "bigger" beers. Honey malt could be nice, if you like it (I don't).

Thanks Yooper!! I'm trying to use what I have on hand. I also have some biscuit & aromatic malt. Maybe through some of those in?

I would throw I'm a touch of Aromatic.
I have an all 2 row lager that I used an ounce of Liberty hops in 5 gallon batch and it is good lawnmower beer. Slight apple flavor very delicate. It could use just a touch more malt flavor.

Back