Lager Recipe Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nike_Eayrs

Reaction score
Last year I made a "lager like" beer using Nottingham yeast it a tub and alternating out frozen water bottles. I tried it in July and it was clearly too hot in my house. It came out very much like Coors (recipe error) with a hint of apple (temp issue) This year I am going to try it earlier, but with a different yeast. The ambient temp in my spare bathroom right now is 63 degrees. I'm debating using a Kolsch yeast and lagering it in the fridge after primary fermentation is done. My recipe is listed below and I would welcome any recommendations on the recipe as well as the yeast. I really think I can get the temp down to 50 with a water tub and swapping out frozen 2 liter bottles, but that's going to be about it. All in all I'm shooting for a Stella/Peroni kind of brew. I thank you all in advance for your help, cheers!

8lbs 2-row
2lbs pilsner
*1 lb flake maize (up in the air about this addition)*

1oz Saaz at 60
1/2oz Saaz at 15
1/2oz Saaz at 5

WPL Kolsch (open to suggestions)
primary for 2 weeks as close to 50 degrees as I can hold it
lager for 60 days in my fridge

That's a lot of work for a Lager. Good for you. I'm too lazy to watch the temp and switch out bottles. I would switch the malts to a German malt. The 2 Row is too grainy.

Good Luck

If you can get to 50, why not just make a lager? Try SafLager W-34/70 yeast. 2 packs in 5 gallons and no need for a starter...

Recipe-wise, I'd replace the 2-row with pilsner. I find you get a better flavor in these ultra-pale beers with pilsner. US pale 2-row malt is a bit bland.

+1 on swapping out the 2 row. And I think the corn is a great idea for a light lager.
If you have the ability to put your beer in the fridge, you might consider getting the temperature down to 45 before you pitch, then let it warm up to 50 after you pitch. You will produce less diacetyl. Then lager at 40. If you switch to all pils malt, you'll also want to do a 90 minute boil to drive off the DMS.

Is 50 degrees cold enough for primary fermentation?

My second quesitons is in regards to the "skunk" taste associated with Stella and Peroni. Is that taste from the yeast used, or the long time is sits in the bottles?

Green bottles can be lightstruck very easily. UV light causes certain hop compounds to turn skunky, but brown bottles block those frequencies. Since both stella and peroni generally come in green bottles, that's where that comes from.

Is 50 degrees cold enough for primary fermentation?

50 will do the job, but depending on the yeast strain, you may have to raise the temp up to around 58 degrees near the end of fermentation to reduce diacetyl. If you can start at 45, you may be able to skip the d-rest.

The saaz I have is 2.9%. Kinda low. You might need 2 oz, or use perle.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm with bwarbiany. Go with a Pilsner (German), which is what I meant earlier. It's softer, maltier and overall better than 2-row.

Cheers,

Back