Lager question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willey146

Reaction score
So i have an american lite lager chilling at around 34 degrees, its been there for about three weeks. Im going to leave it for another week or two. So here is my question. Once im ready to transfer to the botteling bucket, do i let it warm up to room temp or do i rack at the cold temp? One more question, there is a haze that occupies about three inches of the top of the beer, and of course the layer of yeast at the bottom that has fallen out. What is the haize at the top? Is it hops?

Thanks for you input:)

I usually let my lagers warm back up somewhat overnight, but that's because when I move the carboy from my fermentation fridge to the area where I will be bottling, I want to let any sediment that shook up resettle. You could bottle cold as long as you let the bottles carbonate at room temps. Not sure on the haze, can you post a pic?

I would suggest bringing it back to a warm area for 24-48 hours for a dicatyl rest as well, then move it back to your cold area. That haze on the top may settle out afterward.

When you are replying you will see a paper clip with an arrow beside it. Click that and you can browse your computer to where the picture is, then click on upload.

here it is

482301_464294053641812_1525603695_n.jpg

Have you pulled it out and let it warm up for a few days? It looks ok considering. I would bring it back to a warm area for at least 48 hours, and then put it back in your cool area for a few days again to see if that clears. Unless it has a terrible odor I'd say you are good to go.

Its hard to tell from the photo, but if you have haze that you find objectionable, why not fine it with a little gelatin, especially since you have the beer nice and cool anyway?

Back