Lager question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I've been lagering an American light lager for a week or so and I have a few questions. I'm sure the answers are in the forums somewhere, but after reading and reading I just can't find the answers I'm looking for. So, my apologies if this is redundant...

Is it necessary to lager in secondary? I did not. My other (ale) batches have turned out well without a 2dary so I did not see the need. However... I've seen posts that gettin the beer off the yeast and trub may be desired for the long lagering process. However I have yet to see anyone say "I wish I would have transferred because the beer would have improved."

If I do decide to rack to 2dary, is there any harm on interrupting the lagering process for a 15 minute transfer?

Before I lagered I took a hydrometer reading.. The FG was ok, but the beer did not taste so great. Is this normal for the style?

Thanks

Interested in the answer to the racking question. I'm planning a Bock series for this winter, trying to hit the Bock season. It's looking like I'll have to start my lagering in primary if I want to get the Maibock ready by May.

Based on my experience with a Kolsch, which I lagered in primary for a month, I don't think there'll be any problem. A few minutes interruption for racking isn't likely to change the temperature much, or for long enough to have any major impact. The lagering process is slow, so it's not like primary active fermentation where a relatively short disturbance can have major consequences.

But that's not based on any experience with true lagers.

Back