Lager in Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sundaybrewingco

Reaction score
Hello world,
I plan on brewing a Kolsch this weekend.. I was going to let it ferment at lower ale temps and then lager it for some time (not truly necessary but was going to anyway)..

I read around and I see it isn't good to lager in the primary. So I was wondering, after fermentation is complete, can I transfer to keg and just leave it lager in the keg? I do not have another spare keg to transfer after the fact, so my main question is.. would it be ok to lager in a keg and then carbonate in that same keg?

Thanks! :mug:

Sure, you can do this. Some people cut a bit off of their tube to keep sediment in the glass to a minimum. Others wouldn't worry about it as much of the sediment will come in the first few pints.

That's exactly what I'm doing right now with a Bock - and planning to dump the first couple pints down the drain once it's ready to pour in mid-December.

Of course, the fact that this stupid storm took out power in a lrge swathe of CT means I'm not quite lagering at this exact instant. With luck, I'll be able to resume within a week or so.

Which brings another thought to mind: where are all the "Did the autumn blizzard ruin my beer" threads? Haven't spotted a one yet! ;)

If you're lagering in the keg, I would recommend hooking an airlock up to gas-in post to allow the lager to de-gas. After I found the H2S wasn't dissipating from my pils, I rigged up an airlock using a new gas QD, some 3/8 ID tubing and a wire hanger.

If you're lagering in the keg, I would recommend hooking an airlock up to gas-in post to allow the lager to de-gas. After I found the H2S wasn't dissipating from my pils, I rigged up an airlock using a new gas QD, some 3/8 ID tubing and a wire hanger.

Have any photos of this setup? TIA

Found a picture from a previous thread here:

David

What if I pull the pressure release value every day? Would that be the same as rigging up an airlock? I don't plan on fermenting in the keg, but just lagering a bit before I carbonate...

What if I pull the pressure release value every day? Would that be the same as rigging up an airlock? I don't plan on fermenting in the keg, but just lagering a bit before I carbonate...

I'm too lazy to pull the release valve every day, plus some days I just don't remember. Having an airlock rigged up saves me the hassle.

Probably. The main difference is while one is automatic and constant, the other is manual and sporadic. Other than that, you're still releasing gases into the atmosphere.

Thanks... I guess another question while it's on my mind...

If I am going to lager the keg... would I blast it with 30psi of co2 to seal first or just leave it without any co2 for the lagering period, then carbonate?

Thanks... I guess another question while it's on my mind...

If I am going to lager the keg... would I blast it with 30psi of co2 to seal first or just leave it without any co2 for the lagering period, then carbonate?

I'm thinking to properly off-gas you'll need some pressure in the headspace so pulling the release valve actually purges gas from the keg.

I'm thinking to properly off-gas you'll need some pressure in the headspace so pulling the release valve actually purges gas from the keg.

That is what I was thinking too... I'm assuming when lagering in a secondary, it is just the dormant beer with no carbonating/sugars added, so if I transfer from primary to keg without co2 blast, then let it condition 2 weeks, it would be the same as having it in a secondary? Then after the 2 weeks, carbonate..

That is what I was thinking too... I'm assuming when lagering in a secondary, it is just the dormant beer with no carbonating/sugars added, so if I transfer from primary to keg without co2 blast, then let it condition 2 weeks, it would be the same as having it in a secondary? Then after the 2 weeks, carbonate..

Well, any pressure you put in the keg will eventually get absorbed into the beer, so you'll either have to have it hooked up constantly, or give it some CO2 right before purging each time.

Well, any pressure you put in the keg will eventually get absorbed into the beer, so you'll either have to have it hooked up constantly, or give it some CO2 right before purging each time.

I guess that is my question... do I need to have CO2 in the keg while it is lagering/secondary?

I guess that is my question... do I need to have CO2 in the keg while it is lagering/secondary?

I would say yes... probably. If you want to hold off carbing until it's conditioned, then every time you pull the tab, just fill the headspace with CO2 first. To me this is an egregious waste of CO2... that's why I recommend rigging up the airlock, so you don't need to "force" off gassing with CO2.

Back