Lager Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehedge20

Reaction score
I brewed an all grain German dunkel about two months ago with ingredients of Munich Malt, carafa special II, and hallertau hop. I pitched White Labs German bock lager yeast from a 1 week starter. My original gravity was 1.072 and after two days fermentation started and after two weeks I transferred to a secondary without taking a gravity reading as I figured everything would finish in the month long lager period. I had the beer transferred into the bottling bucket and took my reading in which I was only at 1.030 (56% attenuation).
Obviously this is way to high to bottle which is unfortunate as the beer is absolutely delicious although a little sweet as expected in respect to the gravity. On top of that I am moving and wanted to get this into a bottle.

Now I am thinking I have to pitch a yeast that can tolerate high alcohol as I am at about 5.6%, and I will have to lager again for another 30 days. Since I have all ready established the flavor profile I am unsure if I need to use a lager yeast or if I can choose something in the ale category to save myself some time. I would basically cold crash at that point as all I need is for the yeast to drop out as everything else was removed during the first lager phase. Any thoughts?

I will also add that I did warm it up to 60 degrees from 33 to start the bottling process and there was no new yeast activity as I believe they all perished during the cold phase.

Hmmmm. . . . . Do you have a keg?

Any fermentation now will negate the benefits of lagering, if you do pitch new yeast you should make a starter and pitch it at high kreusen, if it does attenuate further, you will probably need to lager again. You've probably learned your lesson so I won't go into how this all could be avoided by letting primary fermentation finish prior to racking, etc. Lagers take alot longer to ferment than ales.

Hope this helps?:mug:

Lagers don't typically drop many points during lagering. Yeast will go dormant in the 30-40F range. Two weeks without a diacetyl rest is a very short lager fermentation, especially with an OG 1.072
I would guess that your SG was 1.030 when you racked it to the secondary. I would repitch and ferment at about 60F. This will essentially be a diacetyl rest. It may finish if you pitch enough yeast.

I did a d rest for 2 days, and I agree with the 60 deg. Do you think cold crashing it would be enough or should I lager again?

An update. I have left the beer sitting at 60 deg. for around 4 days and it seems that the yeast are slowly waking up and beginning to multiply again.

Back