Lager fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valvefan

Reaction score
I just brewed my first lager, a Munich Helles

I have one chest freezer with a Ranco temp controller. The lager is fermenting in there at 10C and my finished beer is in the freezer too.

When it is time to complete primary fermentation, I want to increase the temp to 13 degrees over a few days. Then I will cool and lager down around 2 C.

Will these temp changes harm my finished beer? I really don't have space for another beer related fridge or freezer.

Thanks for your help.

Valvefan

I don't think they will at all, your primary fermentation will be over. I actually let almost all of my lagers come to room temperature before I begin to lager, but I'm just strange maybe.

I'm with estricklin, I let my lagers come up to room temp for about 3 days then drop them down to lagering temps which should match your finished beer temp nicely.

So just pull the lager out of the freezer when it's time for the D-rest and after 3-4 days put it back in the freezer for lagering.

No, the temp changes will not harm the other beer in the fermentation chamber/freezer (not unless you go really warm to hot, which you are not doing).

I am also in the process of fermenting a Munich Helles. :tank: And congratulations on the first lager.

Thanks everyone!

Should I keg the cold fermented Helles then let it rise to room temp outside the freezer over a few days then put it back in the freezeer with other kegged beers and drop the temp down to 2C ? That would avoid warming the other kegs up to 13C.

valvefan

I wouldn't rack before a diacetyl rest, you want as much available yeast as possible to do the clean up. 13C is not going to hurt your other beer. Common storage temps are 12 -15 Celsius (55 to 60 Fahrenheit). Although depending on how many kegs are in the freezer, it might take a bit longer to raise to the desired temp, so you might give it an extra day.

After 18 days in the fermenter at 50F I took my Munich Helles out for a diacetyl rest. The carboy spent 3 full days at room temp. The temp probe read 62F. The gravity was 1.012 which was the target. There was a sour apple taste. I assume the apple taste is diacetyl.

I racked the beer off the yeast into a CO2 flushed keg. I am planning to give it a few more days at room temp to consume more diacrtyl. Then I'll cool the keg to 36F. And lager for 5 or 6 weeks.

Does this sound like a decent plan?

Thanks

I always heard diacetyl described as a buttery flavor. Sour apple I thought was an infection forget which one. Not really sure though but I'm pretty sure diacetyl is perceived as butter flavor.

Sent from somewhere to someone

You are right

Green apple flavour is acetaldehyde, an intermediate step in the formation of alcohol. The beer needs more conditioning time. I plan to lager for 5 to 6 weeks

Thanks

You are right

Green apple flavour is acetaldehyde, an intermediate step in the formation of alcohol. The beer needs more conditioning time. I plan to lager for 5 to 6 weeks

Thanks

Correct. Let it sit at the warmer temps a little longer for that flavor to clear up, then lager. The yeast needs to cleanup the acetaldehyde first and the lagering will be used to drop all the suspended particles from the beer making it taste and look cleaner and more finished.

Back