Lager D Rest Length, Until its hit FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzeWuzze

I Love DIY
Reaction score
So im doing an Oktoberfest Lager at 50 the last 2 weeks.

It hit 75%(or approximately according to the recipe), so i ramped it up to 62.

I read that i let it sit at this for 48ish hours or so then transfer and lager it.

My question i guess is, is the additional side effect/goal of the D Rest to finish that last 25% or so and hit your FG?

Or what if its not done yet at the end of those 48 hours, do i drop it in to lager anyways or set it back to 50F to finish?

A D-rest is intended to increase yeast activity and clean up any remaining diacetyl during the last part of fermentation. I would not assume that this will only take 48 hours after 75% fermentation has been achieved. In short, I wouldn't transfer or lager the batch until it's completely done fermenting. Later in fermentation, the beer will be fine at these higher temps as there isn't typically ester formation this late in fermentation.

In fact, if there is diacetyl, it tends to remain in the beer for a couple of days after fermentation is complete (saw this in chart about yeast in BYO).

If it were mine, I'd let it sit at this warmer temp a little longer and take some gravity readings to confirm that it's done fermenting. Then once it'd been done fermenting for a day or two, lager it. My $0.02.

+1 to the above. I actually just cracked my Oktoberfest and realized that I hadn't let it go long enough to clean everything up. I posted and the nearly unanimous consensus was definitely just let it go until it's done and tastes "right" (no off flavors die to byproducts) .

+2 to above. Dont' rush the D-rest, technically, to hit FG means the same gravity for 3+ days.

You're going to wait weeks while it lagers, a few days is no biggie. You don't want to short change a lager and have it taste like popcorn later.

Back