Lager brewing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennywd

Reaction score
So I was reading about lagers( my first one), my question is "Is secondary necessary for the lager phase?"

I am about 18 days in primary and later today will take a gravity.. It's a traditional german bock. Temp has Been a steady 48 degrees. With the start at 68 till fermentation took off.

But I know that real advice is sometimes better than book advice. So any tips or tricks? I will report back tonight with the readings I get as far as taste, and gravity.

I lager in kegs so you could call that a secondary I guess. I've never tried lagering in the primary. I think I'd be a little concerned about the beer being on the yeast that long. If your bottling you can bottle, condition for a couple/three weeks & then lager in the bottles. Or you can move to a carboy/secondary and lager that way. Cheers!!!

What I do is ferment until about 75% done and then raise temp for the diacetyl rest. Keep it there for 2 days and the diacetyl is usually gone. Usually takes about 10 days. The increased temps finish off the fermentation. I then rack warm so I leave some yeast in suspension and slowly cool to lagering temperatures.

Ok well took gravity reading: 1.030
OG 1.069 & FG should be around 1.015. So this pretty much at 75% I have increase temp (61F?) for the rest. Flavor was heading towards right area. Diacrety didn't seem to be high, maybe slight but not bad. I appreciate all the help, figure I will rack soon and start laggering.

Thanks again. Well hopefully you won't hear from me too soon. And if you do it will be of good news and beer drinking.

Back