Lager and Ales in one Chest Freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockweezy

Reaction score
Is there a timing to getting multiple styles going in one chest freezer? I would just recently got a chest freezer with temperature control and am hoping to finally be able to make lagers/pilsners. My chest freezer, from craigslist, holds 4 six gallon carboys and a keg, so I'd like to get multiple styles in there at same time if possible.

For example, would brewing an ale, ferment for a couple of weeks, then drop the temp to 50ish and brew a lager be alright for the ale if I am not able to keg it right away?

I know brewing a lager then bringing up to temp to mid 60's before kegging probably wouldn't work....

Problem I see is what do you brew after the lager and where do you lager? If you brew monthly or more I could see this being a problem. The lager should be below 52 or so for 7 weeks or more (unless you are using a quicker, less traditional lagering schedule).

Get yourself some foam board and a fan and make a 2 chambers. Couple of temp controllers and you can do both anytime.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back