Lactose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrphij

Reaction score
Can someone explain the uses & effects Lactose has?....when does it go in?...does it add fermentables?...etc....I am a Newbie and have a porter in the secondary...can I add Lactose to the secondary?....
:ban:

Lactose is milk-derived sugar, and is not fermentable by brewing yeast. Used to give some sweetness (and some body?) to some types of beer, notably milk stouts, yeah?

Make sure it tastes okay, ie, not like sweatsock. And sterilise it before you add it, by boiling in some water. You could probably add it any time, since it's not doing anything except sitting in the beer.

i use lactose in my sweet stouts or milk stouts as some address them.

lactose imparts a subtle milky sweetness to the brew.

IF you do use lactose let people know b4 you serve them, unless you want someone like me farting all night and end up driving you out of your own home.

Lactose intolerence blows . . . right out your arse usually :rockin:

I just bottled an oatmeal stout. I added the lactose right after i boiled the wort. Is this goingto be alright?

Pumbaa said:
IF you do use lactose let people know b4 you serve them, unless you want someone like me farting all night and end up driving you out of your own home.

Ummm... doesn't homebrew make EVERYBODY fart regardless of whether it contains lactose and whether you are intolerant to it?

-walker

Back