Lactose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakwood

Reaction score
I got a kit for a friend, and it has lactose in it. I have not seen nor used this before. I am not sure do I add then during the boil like the other extracts or wait to blend it in during the chill? Or should I just leave it out? I would think this is what would give the stout a creamy finish. Please help.

Lactose is a dairy-based sweetener that beer yeast cannot ferment...so it raises the final gravity and makes beer sweeter.

You can add it late in the boil and it'll be fine. Sometimes people add it "to taste" in the secondary, but either way...if you add it in the boil, you minimize chances of infection.

The kit should have directions. I would check them.

If there's notting available to tell you how you should use it, I would boil it with the priming sugar and add it to the bottleing bucket when its done. You could also boil it with the wort. Adding it at the last 5-10 minutes.

The lactose is a sweetener. It will thicken your stout and make it appear creamy. I will not add a dairy-like flavor.

I think either way will not make much of a difference. - Good Luck

:mug:

On average, I use about 4 ounces per 5 gallon batch. I put it in at the beginning of the boil. Really helps get rid of the hoppy flavor if your not a hop head.

You'll need a significant amount to get a true creamy/milky result. For my chocolate milk ale I ended up using 8 oz. in the last 5 min. of the boil and then another 6 oz. at bottling time. The amount you use will depend on what type of brew your making.
It shouldn't really matter when you add it because it is unfermentable. Just do whatever is easiest for you and is most sanitary. Splitting it into two parts and adding some before fermentation and some at bottling/kegging will allow you to adjust to your personal tastes though.

For my oatmeal cream stout recipe I use lactose and maltodextrine. I add the MD in the boil and add the lactose at kegging/bottling time. These two adjuncts really give the beer a great mouth feel and creaminess. I've never put the lactose in the boil so I don't know about that but I've never had and sanitary issues with putting it in at kegging time.

for my Vanilla Creme Stout I boiled 8 oz. with my priming sugar and added it that way. Worked out well.

I pretty much made up my mind to add it in when I was going to add the sugar. The down side now is I am going to Keg this brew. So, I will be adding it in by itself. I will try adding it to the keg and let it condition for a day or two before I push it up to the 12PSI at which point it will sit at room temp for two weeks. Then yummy I hope.

Back