Lacto in my drip tray??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bratrules

Reaction score
I just want to share a pic of my drip try after a night of having a few beers. It looks to have some pretty cool lacto growing on it. And this was just over night i went to clean my drip tray in the morning and it looked like this.

My wife made me throw it out saying how gross it looked. But it smelled pleasantly sour i couldn't help thinking that i should have saved it and did a few experiments with it. But oh well i just thought i shared my pic!!

I have a bucket under my drip tray that caught overflow from a growler fill. The bucket now has a crazy follicle on it, might put some in a tube and try it in some wort. This is in my garage where all my grain is, so who knows whats growing in that bucket.

I have a bucket under my drip tray that caught overflow from a growler fill. The bucket now has a crazy follicle on it, might put some in a tube and try it in some wort. This is in my garage where all my grain is, so who knows whats growing in that bucket.

I would give it a shot. Who knows might make a great sour beer. I should have done the same thing. Just add some fresh wort to grow it a bit. Then do a 2 gallon batch or something along those lines.

Odds are it is acetobacter turning the alcohol into vinegar.

Odds are it is acetobacter turning the alcohol into vinegar.

Sure is a chance that its acetobacter. I'm a bit of a lab rat though and can figure it out. I have a lot of other interesting cultures to play with that might keep me from going this route. I have plenty of warm weather (hot garage) and free kegs of beer to test it out though.

Back