lacing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n00bBrew3r

Reaction score
noob question, why do people care about lacing, what is it? and is it important?

Is it important? It shows a well crafted beer with good head retention, My IPA I tapped tonight shows some pretty good lacing.

IMG_2305.jpg

Like color or clarity, it doesn't affect the taste or aroma of the beer, but it looks nice.

Sent from my iThingy using a series of tubes.

I'd only add that good head retention is closely related to the quality of the beer's "mouth feel" or body. A beer that has good head retention will likely show strong lacing (as long as the glass is clean of oils) and will provide a creamier sensation when consumed.

I had good lacing on my batch i thinkImageUploadedByHome Brew1394761716.326923.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I wish my beer would lace. I'm not sure if it is my glassware or my beer. I've tried the salt scrub to get rid of soap residue but it left a white salty residue inside my glasses instead. So I rinsed it out with soap :cross: The thing is, I've had commercial brews lace like it's their job in the same glasses. Maybe my beers just don't lace.

I wish my beer would lace. I'm not sure if it is my glassware or my beer. I've tried the salt scrub to get rid of soap residue but it left a white salty residue inside my glasses instead. So I rinsed it out with soap :cross: The thing is, I've had commercial brews lace like it's their job in the same glasses. Maybe my beers just don't lace.

I got very inconsistent lacing for a long time when I started. Now its crazy. Don't worry. Just concentrate on making quality beer consistently and you will be surprised.

Could there be soap residue on any of your brewing equipment?

I love good lacing. Here's my AIPA I recently brewed. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394843970.977996.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Lacing is indicative of good brewing and a beer clean glass. If you're at a bar and your beer isn't lacing, odds are they use soap in their cleaning process that leaves a residue inside of the glass.

lacing doesnt do it for me, head retention is where its at. i feel that adds to the mouthfeel and aroma. i find my IPAs have better head retention. i think the hops help with that.

Back