Labeling methods?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Labeling bottles? For beer bottles I just mark the caps with a code. I never label them. For wine bottles you can adhere paper labels with some milk painted on with a brush or a milk/Knox gelatin mixture. They are not so hard to remove later when you want to.

You can print labels out on your computer, cut them out and then use a glue stick to adhere the label to the bottle. Works really well!. when it is time to remove, the label falls off as soon as it gets wet. Really easy.

I started out at first where I thought it would really cool to have my bottles with a bitchin label.....I guess that would be ok if I never reused my bottles, but I do and removing the labels are too time consuming for me. So now all I do is write on the bottle cap with initials of the type of beer an bottle date. Used bottle caps go in the trash, no more label removing or buying labels. I also saving on printer ink, and other things. The beer still tastes the same, whether it is labeled or not.

I started out at first where I thought it would really cool to have my bottles with a bitchin label.....I guess that would be ok if I never reused my bottles, but I do and removing the labels are too time consuming for me. So now all I do is write on the bottle cap with initials of the type of beer an bottle date. Used bottle caps go in the trash, no more label removing or buying labels. I also saving on printer ink, and other things. The beer still tastes the same, whether it is labeled or not.

I'll design a cool label for when I give beer away, but otherwise I just wanted a simple label method for my own organization.

I think I'm going to try waterproof chalk markers...

I print mine on regular printer paper and use milk to adhere them to the bottle. A few seconds in hot water and the label slides off.

Just labeled about 18 bottles today after not doing any for months. Changed some things up, and am really pleased so far.

I used to print labels on my inkjet printer. Tried adhesive backed label stock, but was not happy. Paper was very porous, and the color was very washed out. Also, the adhesive was a pain to remove from empty bottles. Always had to scrape some of the paper & adhesive with a fingernail or a scrubby. Then went to plain paper on the inkjet and glue sticks for adhesive, easy to apply and labels came off easily by soaking in Oxyclean. But the colors still weren't great and the ink runs when wet.

So today I got some labels laser printed on smooth finish paper at my local UPS store. Cost me $6.00 for 9 sheets of 6-up labels (about $0.11 per label.) Colors are much more true to what I see on my computer before printing than with my inkjet. I cut them out on a home style paper cutter as before. I tried this adhesive which is supposed to be cold water resistant. Went on as easily as the glue sticks using a 1" paintbrush. Was able to attach to both warm and cold bottles without problem.

Very happy :ban: with this printing + paper + adhesive combo so far. Will find out tomorrow if the labels come off as easily with hot water as advertised.

Brew on :mug:

+1 with KevinB. I use Avery 5408 round labels too. They are perfect for bottle caps. Avery also has free template software that lets you create you own label style. I can put the name of the brew, the date it was bottled, ABV and IBUs. Started throwing in some graphics too.

I prefer this as it keeps the bottles clean and is easy to create and apply and low in cost too.

Stoked to see my labels mentioned on HBT!

If you're curious here's a 10% off coupon code.

"ILOVEHOMEBREW2015" at http://www.garagemonk.com

Order a small set and give them a try. I give 50% off for homebrew supply shops and brew clubs too.

I'd love to hear what you think!

Happy brew year!

Drewski

reusable-beer-labels-grog-tag_1024x1024.jpg

reusable-homebrew-bottle-labels-buy_bb3f1718-fcdb-450d-ba04-ca0a5b7e4f6d_1024x1024.jpg

Big +1 for BeerClings.com, nothing else comes close as far as convenience. The print is great, they are truly reusable, and i find the price very reasonable. Love the design studio too.

Some of my bottles have beercling, they're great. Some have permanent vinyl labels. Both of those only have the name of my brewery. When I first started, I just used colored stars on the bottles, the school kind. They're $.99 for hundreds. The brewlog had the colors listed with the brews. Now I use a Brother Label Maker. Each bottle gets a label on the neck with it's name, abv, and bottling date.

Back