#l

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billism

Reaction score
Newb question here...

What does the number and the "L" mean in something like this:
"2 pounds of Crystal 40L".

Sry to ask, but I can't think of a good search term to find out myself. Thanks!

- Bill

lovi bond. it has to be an english term i...t refers to the color of the malt or the potential color it will add to the beer. basically 10 is really pale and 100 is really dark, and everything inbetween. it also refers to the relative sweetness and body as well.

cgravier said:
lovi bond. it has to be an english term i...t refers to the color of the malt or the potential color it will add to the beer. basically 10 is really pale and 100 is really dark, and everything inbetween. it also refers to the relative sweetness and body as well.

Actually I believe 600 is the max lovibond rating, not 100.

mbeattie said:
Actually I believe 600 is the max lovibond rating, not 100.

yeah but i dont consider black patent or roasted barley a crystal malt. when i think of crystal or caramel malt i think of 10-130l range.

cgravier said:
yeah but i dont consider black patent or roasted barley a crystal malt. when i think of crystal or caramel malt i think of 10-130l range.

True, but he wasn't asking specifically about crystal malt. He was asking about lovibond scale in general.

picking-knits.... :)

-walker

cgravier said:
it also refers to the relative sweetness and body as well.

Lovibond is just about color. It doesn't indicate sweetness or body. A 40L Crystal is way sweeter than a 500L Black Patent malt.

It's a scale for describing the color of ingredients so you can predict the color of the resulting beer.

Cheers :D

Back