Kwak recipe and taste problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwksilver

Reaction score
Hey everyone I am hoping you can riddle me this.

My wife loves Kwak after having had it twice recently. The problem is that I am 100% sure that she had two different beers. One of the bars served us something different or the difference between bottle and fresh keg is far far more than I have ever experienced before.

let me explain:

She had a Kwak from a bottle May 28th during UFC 130 at Croxley ales in alphabet city NYC. They have a large bottle selection of beer but my main impression was that they were not beer lovers.

She then had it on draft Monday 30th at Petite Abeille (20th st location) this was from draft. I know the owners of Petite Abeille and even though they have a large belgian keg selection i KNOW they run through their kegs very quickly. They are routinely out of several when everything is 1/2 price Mondays.

Here is what I tasted:

bottle: typical belgian amber not very "different" on the sweet side.

draft: refreshing very complex SOUR. awesome. Without doubt real sourness not quite Berliner weisse level sour but easily gueze (no fruit). No brett flavors or anything of that nature. Did I have the fantastic that is fresh Kwak or did I have the best freak infected Kwak ever?

In either case if you are in NYC go to the 20th st Petite Abeille I bet that keg is not gone yet. Its absolutely epic.

I also cannot seem to find a good recipe to clone this. I prefer all grain, but if it replicates properly I can do partial.

Can anyone help? I am simply not very familiar with this beer.

update: I called, it is the same keg still

kwksilver,
Two years is a long time for a first reply, but nonetheless, here it is. I live in the Netherlands and am quite familiar with Kwak beer. Your description of the bottled beer is correct. The keg-version is probably a "freak infection", as you suspected.
A clone recipe is posted on this forum (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/kwak-beer-252114/). I plan to do a clone attempt in coming brewing season, but with the original yeast (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/pauwel-kwak-yeast-148427/).
Regards, Freek

Latest posts

Back