kumquat and ginger saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudsey

Reaction score
Hey guys, I want to make a kumquat ginger saison.
Something along the lines of...
3.5kg Belgian pils
1kg wheat
.5 Cara pils
.5 carared
.5 corn sugar

Cascade and galaxy hops to about 40 ibu's

Anyway, my question is what's the best way to add the kumquat? After fermentation? End of boil? Add the juice separately and have the mashed up shins in a hop bag?

Also, I'm thinking of just adding grated ginger in a hop bag fit the last 10 minutes of boil? Thoughts?

Cheers in advance

Kumquats have delicious peel, and I'm pretty sure that Randy Mosher recommends just adding them whole in Radical Brewing, but I'd have to check. But at a minimum, I'd say don't add just juice. You can add them at the end of the boil or to the secondary. If the juice gets in, they'll add a little fermentable sugar.

I would definitely recommend minimizing ginger if you haven't used it before. It can quickly take over a beer in a way you might not like (even if you really like ginger). Saison yeast adds a ton of character, and you don't want to drown that out with extraneous elements. But yes, you can add it during the last ten minutes in a bag.

40 IBUs is a touch high for a saison. Consider lowering it. Also, it'd be more typical to use less interesting hops--bitter with something clean and don't worry about hop flavor. Again, the yeast is what will shine here.

I don't think you need both wheat and carapils, especially at the half kilogram mark. The former will be enough for good head retention. I would also cut down the carared too--I don't think I'd use more than half a pound (~225g), and if it were me, I wouldn't use any.

What yeast were you thinking of using?

Sounds pretty good. Couple things. Corn sugar is a waste of money, table sugar is just fine. I prefer to use a raw sugar when I do use sugar in saisons. At 70% efficiency for a 5.5 gallon batch I've got about 1.057 without sugar and 1.065 or so with it. That's a higher percentage of sugar than I would personally use. I probably wouldn't use the carapils or carared and definitely not both. I wouldn't go over 5% total crystal malt. I only used crystal malt in smaller saisons that need it to enhance the body. In a higher grav one like yours, I wouldn't use any. I find it cloying. You can use some munich if you're worried about color.

Hops sound great and a good combo. I'd do first wort and flameout only. Use the cascade for FW and save the galaxy for the late addition, alone or with more Cascade.

Anchorage Galaxy White IPA is a great beer with galaxy hops and kumquats. They add the kumquats (chopped) at flameout. Ginger can easily over be overpowering and you've got a lot of other good stuff going on. I wouldn't use ginger in this beer myself, but if you really want to, I'd suggest using .5g. At that level it should blend into the yeast nicely, anymore and the ginger could stick out and overwhelm the subtle interplay of yeast, hops, and citrus.

Kumquats have delicious peel, and I'm pretty sure that Randy Mosher recommends just adding them whole in Radical Brewing, but I'd have to check. But at a minimum, I'd say don't add just juice. You can add them at the end of the boil or to the secondary. If the juice gets in, they'll add a little fermentable sugar.

I would definitely recommend minimizing ginger if you haven't used it before. It can quickly take over a beer in a way you might not like (even if you really like ginger). Saison yeast adds a ton of character, and you don't want to drown that out with extraneous elements. But yes, you can add it during the last ten minutes in a bag.

40 IBUs is a touch high for a saison. Consider lowering it. Also, it'd be more typical to use less interesting hops--bitter with something clean and don't worry about hop flavor. Again, the yeast is what will shine here.

I don't think you need both wheat and carapils, especially at the half kilogram mark. The former will be enough for good head retention. I would also cut down the carared too--I don't think I'd use more than half a pound (~225g), and if it were me, I wouldn't use any.

What yeast were you thinking of using?
Cheers, greatly appreciated.

Ok I might just scrap the ginger altogether. Or maybe try two batches with a second small batch with some ginger in the dry hopping stage.

Ok, Ill scrap the cara pils altogether. I like the cara red because I want it to have an orange ish color.

Yep, Ill add chopped kumquats at flame out. Ill use some sort of sugar as I want a very dry high gravity beer. Im hoping for 7 per cent plus. Think Ill have a unusually high IBU as I am fairly addicted.

I plan on using wyeast saison.

Sounds pretty good. Couple things. Corn sugar is a waste of money, table sugar is just fine. I prefer to use a raw sugar when I do use sugar in saisons. At 70% efficiency for a 5.5 gallon batch I've got about 1.057 without sugar and 1.065 or so with it. That's a higher percentage of sugar than I would personally use. I probably wouldn't use the carapils or carared and definitely not both. I wouldn't go over 5% total crystal malt. I only used crystal malt in smaller saisons that need it to enhance the body. In a higher grav one like yours, I wouldn't use any. I find it cloying. You can use some munich if you're worried about color.

Hops sound great and a good combo. I'd do first wort and flameout only. Use the cascade for FW and save the galaxy for the late addition, alone or with more Cascade.

Anchorage Galaxy White IPA is a great beer with galaxy hops and kumquats. They add the kumquats (chopped) at flameout. Ginger can easily over be overpowering and you've got a lot of other good stuff going on. I wouldn't use ginger in this beer myself, but if you really want to, I'd suggest using .5g. At that level it should blend into the yeast nicely, anymore and the ginger could stick out and overwhelm the subtle interplay of yeast, hops, and citrus.
Cheers, greatly appreciated.

Ok I might just scrap the ginger altogether. Or maybe try two batches with a second small batch with some ginger in the dry hopping stage.

Ok, Ill scrap the cara pils altogether. I like the cara red because I want it to have an orange ish color.

Yep, Ill add chopped kumquats at flame out. Ill use some sort of sugar as I want a very dry high gravity beer. Im hoping for 7 per cent plus. Think Ill have a unusually high IBU as I am fairly addicted.

I plan on using wyeast saison.

Back