Krausen Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuffmanAK

Reaction score
So.. I've only done 2 brews so far, both un-hopped extract brews (I added hops).

Anywho, both times in the first few days of fermentation the beer foamed up and out of the carby (the first time it popped my 3-piece airlock off, second I was smart and setup a blow-off tube).

I see all these photos form people of a nice, clean looking carboy with a couple inches of krausen on top, whereas mine has almost no foam/krausen but lots of funk stuck to the inside of the carboy where it foamed up.

I'm just wondering is this a sign of anything in particular, or that I just have very active (and healthy) yeasts?

I think it just depends the yeast strain, fermenting temperature, how much sugars the yeast have, etc etc.

There are lots of factors. None that would make your beer "bad." I wouldn't worry too much about it. What size carboy are you using?

Using a 6 gallon one.

Sure, I don't think its anything that'll make the beer bad, in fact the first batch tastes fine. But if there is something I'm doing incorrectly (and if done correctly make the beer taste better) then I'd like to know so I can fix my procedure.

One thing is that I'm prepping the yeast with extract syrup/water before pitching. Palmer's online guide says to do that, but as I'm reading Papazian seems he reccomends just re-hydrate (no sugar/extract).

No 2 krausens are the same...different yeasts, different temps, yadda yadda yadda all go into producing them, there's a great deal of randomness to them...in other words, chillax! :mug:

I didn't think there was anything that you were doing wrong, I was just trying to ease your mind :p. My krauseans in my 6.5g Carboy can go up to the 6g mark. I think you have a good healthy ferementation, and you should be proud.

Oh ya, I'm not worried about it, just was gonna toss it out there for discussion :D

Thanks for the replies :)

Back