Krausen is gone!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonyb79

Reaction score
My blonde ale has been fermenting for 4 1/2 days and there was alot of krausen at the beggining and now it’s all gone! It should be noted that i over filled my carboy and had to siphon a bit out after 1 day of fermentation! Is it normal for all the krausen to disapear after such a short time!?

The environement in wich it is fermenting is on the slightly colder side but is still near room temp!

Depending on your yeast. Some are aggressive and fermentation is quick. It drops soon after.

When you say fermentation is quick do you mean that when you use this yeast your fermentation time would be short for example 1 or 2 weeks! Because my recipe calls for a 4 week fermentation in the carboy!

When you say fermentation is quick do you mean that when you use this yeast your fermentation time would be short for example 1 or 2 weeks! Because my recipe calls for a 4 week fermentation in the carboy!

Very few beers take 4 weeks to ferment. What yeast strain are you using? What was the wort's original gravity? What temperature is the fermenter?

It was white labs WLP051 california ale V
I don’t have thermometer strip at the moment so i’d say slightly colder than room temp and the original gravity was about 1.046

It was white labs WLP051 california ale V
I don’t have thermometer strip at the moment so i’d say slightly colder than room temp and the original gravity was about 1.046

It's hard to guess without knowing the temp, but that's not a particularly slow strain and 1.046 is a smallish wort, so again, I wouldn't expect a slow fermentation.

Do you have a hydrometer?

It's hard to guess without knowing temp, but that's not a particularly slow strain and 1.046 is a smallish wort, so again, I wouldn't expect a slow fermentation.

Do you have a hydrometer?
Yess i do

This is my recipe

Attachments

• A82153F6-63D9-42BA-9395-09FB48602D92.png
    A82153F6-63D9-42BA-9395-09FB48602D92.png
    303.4 KB · Views: 6
  • BAA8F7CE-2CAA-4452-9B27-A72BDAF9C98F.png
    BAA8F7CE-2CAA-4452-9B27-A72BDAF9C98F.png
    245.5 KB · Views: 6
Yess i do

You might want to take a gravity reading and see how it compares to what you were expecting. Either way, it wouldn't hurt to give it a few more days, perhaps at about 68F or so, if that's warmer than it is now. If attenuation isn't finished, that will help it finish out. If it is finished, it will help the yeast clean up any off flavors.

It’s done after 4 days?

It's possible. The only way to know for sure is a pair of gravity readings, 2-3 days apart. If the gravity is stable and in the neighborhood of what you expected, attenuation is done.

Also if my wort is too cold will it make the yeast settle at the bottom of my carboy even if it’s not done consuming the sugars?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
And since i overfilled my carboy alot of the krausen and i’m assuming yeast stuck to the top of the carboy 😬 as you can see in the previous pic

Also if my wort is too cold will it make the yeast settle at the bottom of my carboy even if it’s not done consuming the sugars?

you'd still have a layer of white foam on top...or a cracked carboy, from freezing expansion.....

And since i overfilled my carboy alot of the krausen and i’m assuming yeast stuck to the top of the carboy 😬 as you can see in the previous pic

you should see mine!! lol, PBW will clean it up, if that's what you're into.....

That can happen. But it's not very common if the drop in temp isn't large. A lot of what you're probably seeing at the bottom probably isn't just yeast, but also proteins and some other things.

That's called a krausen ring. Perfectly normal.

Back