Krausen in my Spunding valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRBC

Reaction score
Thought I would post a PSA here since I searched for my problem, but didn’t find a solution. Some fermenting beer/Krausen/dry hops got pushed up the gas-out post of my corny keg and into my spunding valve. As a result, once the valve opened at the designated pressure, it wouldn’t fully close and the keg would slowly lose all pressure.

I bought the spunding valve from Bobby at Brew Hardware so shot him an email last night. Within hours he had emailed me back and let me know that the black knob can be completely unscrewed from the body of the valve which exposes the spring and the “bullet” with its o-ring seal. Cleaned it all up and working like a charm tonight.

Really impressed with the super fast and helpful support. Thanks Bobby!

...stick it in the fridge, stick it in the fridge....

Thanks for the PSA. I'm at the beginning of my journey into spunding in kegs. I am using the BlowTie valve . How much headspace did you leave in that batch? I'm hoping 4 gallons won't be too much in a 5 gallon corny keg.

Practically none. It was a Brut IPA. Primary fermentation was done when I racked 5 full gallons in that keg with dry hops and the glucoamylase enzyme. Lesson learned.

Back