krausen in bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike20793

Reaction score
I just finished bottle conditioning a red ale. When I first open the bottle and pour the glass it has nice head and adequate carbonation. However, when I go back to pour the rest of the bottle, it looks like there is krausen in over half the bottle. Not just foam from carbonation, but krausen. When I pour the rest out, it looks like its filled with yeast. Is this common? Did I just suck up a little too much trub when I was bottling and pulled in too much yeast? Anyone else have something similar happen?

No, I racked to a bottling bucket. I'm not too worried about it since I can pour the entire glass at once and leave the small yeast cake behind. The two times I didn't pour the entire bottle is when I noticed it. The foam didn't look creamy and uniform in color like the head from carbonation; it looked like krausen. I'm just curious if its from sucking up trub when I racked. I may need to refine my procedure if that is the case.

Dextrose. I figured out what it was. I was pouring too recklessly out of my 22 oz. bottles. It tossed up all the yeast after my initial pour. There is a lot since it was my second bottling attempt (I scraped the trub a couple times on accident). All I have to do is pour it carefully and it does get all crazy foamy anymore.

that's intresting... I would say that fermentation might not be done when you bottled but that usually caused overcarbonation or bottle bombs. Maybe its just because the yeast is getting stirred up and then the head lifts it up and makes it look like that. How long do you keep it in the fridge before you drink it? The longer you keep it cold the more compact the yeast cake and it wont get stirred up as easy, it will also be clearer beer.

:off: Nice to see Cookeville brewers! I graduated from Tech in 2006.

This was happening after it was cold for less than a week. I haven't had any problems with it lately.

:mug: Tech is going to knock off Murray State later this month. Last game of the season and last undefeated team and it is in Cookeville! I don't know if you have heard but our team is pretty good. Murphy was just impact player of the week for the NCAA. He put up 140 points in 3 games. Go Golden Eagles!!

I did hear and also voted for him in the impact player pole! The alumni association is pretty good at keeping everyone in the loop on stuff like that so we can support them.

Back