Krausen in airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoffrey20005

Reaction score
Alright, so this may be too late (mostly asking as a reassurance to myself) but my last beer I made almost filled my carboy (which I have been using for primary and secondary) and I left it a little head space....but apparently not enough. I came back a couple days later and the krausen (more like the Kracken, in this case) had leaked out of the airlock and start to dry up, making it look like the entire airlock itself was stuck in more an 'open' position. Fearing I may have some dried up krusties fall back that had been exposed to air, I sanitized a new bung/airlock and swapped it out. There is still some bubble going on, so I was fairly certain it would purge out any possible bad air that might have jump in within the few seconds it was uncovered.

I guess the baseline question is, should I have even bothered/wasted my time with this? Did I run risk of changing flavor/starting infection by exposing it, or is this a normal thing that most brewers do as well?

As long as you're still producing CO2 you should not have a problem. Next time you have a full batch, use a hose instead of an airlock. Place one end in the stopper and the in a container of water. If you bubble over the tube will carry the over flow away and into the water container.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Your fine. Like Beastmaster315 said, as long as CO2 is come out the chances of anything "falling" in are unlikely. Although its not advised, at the most aggressive stage of fermenting you could even keep the top open because such force is coming out that O2 can't get in. Take wine for example, all I do to cover it is put a moist cheese cloth over the top so nothing falls in (like dust or animal hair) Never had an infected batch. Remember, relax and have a home brew, all will be fine.

You are fine, but get a fermenter with some head space. You want 25% plus. Eventually, you'll clog up and make a huge mess. A blowoff tube is good insurance, but blowing off a ton of yeast each batch isn't ideal.

I agree with the blowoff tube that the others suggested. Also, what size is your primary and what size batch are you doing? Getting a fermenter with a little bit more headspace for your primary might help out a little bit, as well.

In the future you can just take it off clean it out and sanitize it and then re-install it. I have switched to a blow-off tube after my Imperial porter filled 3 airlocks with Krausen in less than 5 minutes.

Back