Krausen, bubbles, and corn flake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jossipov

Reaction score
So I'm doing an all grain brown ale, using
2 maris otter, C120, Brown malt, pale chocolate, flaked corn, willamette hops, and wyeast 1056.

Have encountered several problems I've not had to deal with before:
There a lot of particles got in the wort. Some of the grains milled pretty fine and a lot got through my grain mesh. Ok, this is important for later.....
so, I went ahead and got everything in the fermenter, got it close to 70F maybe a degree or 2 on the colder side (erring on caution) and pitched the yeast.

Checked up a 6 hours later and fermentation was going. Checked up again after 12 hours and still good, with a pretty nice layer of krausen. Temp staying pretty steady at 70F in the fermenter and 60s in the cellar room temp. Checked back again Checked back at 36 hours and the head of krausen is much thinner and only a few bubbles (visible in the carboy itself, this is hard to see since I have a dark brown one).
Now, 41 hours later I check again and the krausen layer is mostly all gone from what I can tell, and there is no visual sign of tiny bubbles. There is however a really big layer or trub, and some of those grain particles appear to be floating on the top (I think it is corn flake mostly that got in there).
The beer is still pretty hazy though, and there is still particles bobbing up and down and floating on top ( hope they settle mostly after a week). Anyway.....

The lack of krausen and lack of tiny bobbles after less than 2 days was something new to me, so I went to take a measurement and.....dropped my hydrometer on the floor, smashing it. :eek: Plus the grain particles are bothering me. I took a sample anyway (have a spicket on the side), and it was really hazy, full of yeast and a fair amount of really fine grain. Smells ok, a but sweet and really yeasty. Didnt taste it.
Now, I have to leave tomorrow on a trip for a week, this leaves me no time to get a new hydrometer before then.

Now, here is my concern: Is this normal, should I worry?
Never used wyeast before, and this is my first all grain....anyway, I tend to believe the best thing to do is leave it alone, since its more likely I'd make things worst because everything is actually fine...but could use some outside opinion.

Oh, also had about a 1/2 lb of amber belgian candi sugar.
The final abv should be around 5.5

Everything sounds normal to me. A few grain particles is nothing to worry about. You had a good vigorous fermentation for the first couple of days and it's settling now. There is still fermentation going on, so don't mess with it; there isn't even any reason to check the gravity at this point (so you've got plenty of time to buy a new hydrometer). Wait until it's cleared up.

Yup. What you witnessed was the end of initial fermentation. It'll now slowly,uneventfully wind down to FG. This when the krausen typically drops as well. Since it's only been a couple of days,being gone for a week won't hurt a thing. I usually wait till the 2 week mark to take a 1st FG sample to see where it's at.
Having said all that,I too got the siltier stuff from the partial mash get through my fine mesh strainer. But that should settle out fairly easily. The floaters you're seeing are likely grain husks.

Ah thanks.
Never used liquid yeast before (smack pack), and was surprised how it took off like a rocket. Before always used dry yeast and extract, tended to have slower start up and kind of a long slow fermentation. Just wanted to confirm things were ok.
On a side note, I took about a shot glass size sample before I left (day 3) and it looked like coffee...so I ran it through a coffee filter. Figured that would give me the best idea of taste minus yeast clouds and grain/hops particles.
Great color, smelled a tad bit alcoholy. Bitter at the finish, but in the middle the belgian candi popped perfectly (really clear and strong toffee taste, but not sweet).
I'm really excited to get back and bottle next month, because I can not wait to drink the finished product.

Here is the recipe if anyone interested (for 2 gallons):

Maris Otter: 2 lbs 8 oz
Corn, Flaked: 4 oz
Caramel/Crystal Malt: 6 oz
Brown Malt: 4 oz
Pale Chocolate Malt: 2 oz (this stuff smells like heaven btw)
Willamette: 0.5 oz Boil 60.0 min
Willamette: 0.5 oz Boil 10.0 min
Willamette: 1.0 oz Boil 1.0 min
Amber Candi: 1/2 lb at flame out
Wyeast #1056: 80% of package

Back