krauesen ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DimaP

Reaction score
7 GAL was my target,
6lbs pils DME
1 Lb Carafoam
1 Lb Carapils
2 LBs Dextrose.

Yeast Starter, WLP 550 :) Yeats with starter amounted to .5 gallons.

I brewed last night, 2 hours after pitching I get airlock activity, I go to sleep happy.

I wake up, clean the sealing from beer,

Thus far collected .5 gal krauesen.

My recipe was for 7 gal. Do I add the krauesen back ?

No, it is not necessary to add the krausen back. Unless you have set up a sanitary collection system it there is too much risk of an infection.

Thank you for responses,

I recall reading years ago that krausen is made up of proteins that break down. So I am not sure how removing that much will affect the overall chemistry.

I can add spring water to get the right volume.

I always felt that Sanitation in modern home brewing is taken to extreme. I am using regular, clean kitchen wear, porage/soup spoon and clean soup bowl. Considering that I had to take lid off my FastFermenter and cover it with a funnel instead....

Maybe it's a separate debate, but they invented beer before they invented laboratory/clean room sanitation... My wort above 22 IBU and already should have some ABV ?

The krausen now is in the 1 gallon jug from spring water is showing airlock activity :)

Last edited:
Don't add water back, you're just diluting the beer. Blowouts happen so just let it finish and remember to use a blow off tube the next time you brew this.

Don't add water back, you're just diluting the beer. Blowouts happen so just let it finish and remember to use a blow off tube the next time you brew this.

While I would recommend Fast Ferment system over a traditional brew bucket, there is no overflow option.
It is normal for me, the first 2 days of fermentation to use my an upside down funnel instead of a lid with airlock... I will put on the lid with airlock in morning !

Looks like also Pilsen :)

Back