Kraeusen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SocalNat

Reaction score
I had an amazing kraeuzen session for about 3 days on a double IPA and it has been 10 days since fermentation began. There is still activity and I am patient to allow the fermentation to take its full course. However, there seems to be a thick build up of creamy sediment on top of the beer that doesn't seem to be settling out. Is this normal or should I be concerned about an infection. I was reading about bacterial layers floating on top of fermented beer and I got a bit paranoid. I am hoping it is nothing and it will soon be an epic Double IPA that I will be enjoying in 2-4 weeks. Keeping fingers crossed.

Different yeast will do this as some others will fall back into the beer much quicker. If you want to speed things along, after 2-3 weeks in primary, crash the beer down to just above freezing then leave it there for 2-3 days. Then keg or bottle as you would normally do. If your sanitary practices were sound, there should be very little chance of contamination.

After a week, fermentation should be done. Just give it a good shake every day and the kraeusen will fall. Mine always have. I wouldn't leave it on the top because it might create some difficulties when racking.

It didn't take much of a shake at all and it worked out well, thanks.

Latest posts

Back