Koncrete Keezer Build.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pf3352

Reaction score
Well after months of lurking and reading every keezer thread I decided to try and build my own. I would love to have an in doors keezer but there was no room so I went with the next best thing. My keezer will be built with 4 taps outside (main unit) and 2 taps inside ( 3 foot run). I want it to match a BBQ Island that I built 7 years ago so it will have a stucco coating with a Saltillo Tile top. Let the project begin.

I decided to purchase the Frigidaire 8.8 from Lowes do to it being on sale.

IMG_20131107_110031_837.jpg

I decided to build it next to our sliding glass door so that I could run an easy beer line into the house when the weather is not perfect. I tried to find a photo of the spot but failed to take one early. If you look at the potted plant in the photo next to the metal fence, that's the Keezers new home.

2011-05-24_12-06-57_200.jpg

I was lucky and already had electric where I needed it but ran another box up higher so that it will be available when needed. Next was to cut a hole in my house ( little scary but what's the big deal about drilling a 4 inch hole in your house. I drilled into my slab which I poured years ago (6 inches deep in this spot) and added rebar for support. It was getting late but decided to get the first couple rows of block going.

IMG_20131117_111339_958.jpg

IMG_20131206_170004_042.jpg

IMG_20131206_170024_688.jpg

Since this is my first Keezer build I am trying to think of the "what if's" prior to the next step. I almost forgot the water drain at the rear. The Keezer will be built a little bit off the ground and when done will be as water tight as I can possibly make it. I do realize that mother nature will take her toll on this project so I will do my best with what I have. I will be looking for the best outdoor cover possible if anyone has ideas. I drilled out two small drainage holes at the bottom

IMG_20131206_165948_123.jpg

I decided to build my Keezer 5 cinder blocks high so that when I add my coffin box the pours will be at the perfect height for me. I will be building a 6 inch collar (with help from a friend due to me not having a good wood saw) and have decided to build my own top and discard the original. I have never measured things 18 times prior to every cut but figured this might not be the project for mistakes. I added rebar on rows two and four to lock everything down. I then poured each hole with concrete ( not going anywhere ).

IMG_20131209_111523_191.jpg

IMG_20131209_111642_607.jpg

Nice craftsmanship on the island! Consider caster under the keezer...they are quite useful. Also, not sure how hot Brentwood, CA gets, but you might consider some way to move air around the freezer....once that concrete warms up, it will force the freezer to work hard all day long....even a small continuous duty fan can make a huge difference.

Nice craftsmanship on the island! Consider caster under the keezer...they are quite useful. Also, not sure how hot Brentwood, CA gets, but you might consider some way to move air around the freezer....once that concrete warms up, it will force the freezer to work hard all day long....even a small continuous duty fan can make a huge difference.

There will be a fan on the outside, at the bottom of the Keezer forcing air into inside taps, and another one inside the coffin. Great idea. Should I place the outside fan near the compressor or the skin? I did check the temp last inside my BBQ island with it being fully pour with concrete and it was up to 15 degrees cooler inside then outside. Im hoping that the solid concrete helps. The sun is not on the Keezer after 1pm which helps...

Pf, I'm in discovery bay. We should brew

I'm liking that idea. The reason I did 4 taps outside was so that I can have my two or three pool party beers and then the third and/or 4th being my home brew(s). I purchased splitters to run what I like inside.

The collar fit perfect and was mounted using Loctite and Simpson hardware. I made sure that it was sealed by putting a flood light inside and replacing the lid back on to check for any light escaping. Got my 4 inch hole drilled and my PVC pipe run. This was the hard part making sure that I could get to the PVC if in fact I ever need to replace my unit. I made a cut out in my wall inside the house and made a box which will house my inside beer lines. The 2 beer lines will run up the large tubing shown. I also made a fan box using a radio shack project box to force air up and into my inside box (it works well). The inside box is well insulated and will have photos soon.

IMG_20131227_154631_425.jpg

IMG_20131227_154623_639.jpg

IMG_20131227_154641_450.jpg

IMG_20131227_154608_245.jpg

IMG_20131215_113756_191.jpg

I'm curious what your top is going to look like. Your going to need to be able to remove it to replenish, so I'm sure you've already though of that.

This look awesome!

I'm curious what your top is going to look like. Your going to need to be able to remove it to replenish, so I'm sure you've already though of that.

This look awesome!

Well I thought long and hard about what I wanted to do with the top. As I stated I want to match my BBQ so Im going with the same stucco and tiles with the taps mounted in a coffin box similar to the high back rise on my BBQ. I decided to use 3/4 treated plywood which I treated again. I then placed a shower pan polyurethane cover over that. The cap on the outside edges will be redwood. I will add photos when I get to my computer. The lid will lift like a car hood with heavy hinges that are recessed in the redwood. To make the rear of the Keezer stronger I sank metal footings into the concrete and then mounted angle iron along the top to secure the mount. I will try and find photos of the metal. I think if you look back at the other photos you might see some of the iron.

Will there be a return to the keezer for the air you're sending through the PVC tube into the house?

Cheers!

Well you hit the one problem that I have been trying to resolve. Here is what I have right now and not sure but it seems to be working..the pipe is of course bigger then the clear hose( its hard to see but there is a lot of space left) and I'm in hopes that this will help in the return. I will be running my beer line (Bev Ultra) inside the clear tube with the cold air. Since I have not done this yet I am praying it stays cold. About 2.5 feet total run and when the clear hose is hooked up to the fan I showed pictures of it was really pushing the cold air into the box. And of course we are talking very little air pressure.

Gotcha. That won't be quite as effective as a separate return as the return air will be trying to warm up that braided tube while the cold air is trying to keep it cool, but for that short a run it may work ok...

Cheers!

During the first part of my build I made a stand with casters for easy movement but that became a problem due to my concrete. I have rock poured in my concrete and the casters kept me from getting it level. I decided that I could live without them and went with a two inch rise above the ground (I would have gone higher but have to stay in the 40-42 inch range). I decided to try and keep the unit as weatherproof as possible although it will be covered in weather. I used very heavy duty hinges along with Simpson SDS screws. This is where the angle iron comes into play giving it the strength I need in the rear to avoid the concrete blocks from cracking. I sank deep footings into the block when I filled them to gain the strength needed. I sank the SDS screws into the redwood 2x4 then trough the metal and into the concrete itself to hold the lid on (and its level). For right now I will just use another 2x4 as a prop to hold the lid up but as you can go back and see I ran metal along the top of the build so that I can use a lift system when I decide on the perfect match.

IMG_20131229_105000_012.jpg

IMG_20131229_105328_018.jpg

IMG_20131229_105542_766.jpg

IMG_20131230_113556_890.jpg

IMG_20131230_113616_291.jpg

I used a polyurethane shower pan which I glued to the 3/4 plywood. I will then go with hardy board over the shower pan. I have been using the Rapid Set Cement All (super strength grout) in the blue bag as my stucco mix. I used it 7+ years ago on my BBQ and it still looks great today. The stuff dries in 20 minutes. I just spread it on and then use the trowel with the red sponge ( not sure of the name) to make the swirls.

IMG_20131229_105605_691.jpg

IMG_20131230_113602_978.jpg

IMG_20140101_125133_439.jpg

IMG_20140101_125144_373.jpg

IMG_20140101_125151_965.jpg

This is great - nice work!

Did you install a fan outside the freezer to push air around the space? You asked earlier about maybe putting it in with the compressor - what route did you go?

As to the air return for the lines going inside - I'll bet it will be fine - it's a short distance. I'd be more focused on insulating the exposed PVC sections between the keezer and the house - it looks like you have some neoprene on there already? Will that ever see any sun?

This is great - nice work!

Did you install a fan outside the freezer to push air around the space? You asked earlier about maybe putting it in with the compressor - what route did you go?

As to the air return for the lines going inside - I'll bet it will be fine - it's a short distance. I'd be more focused on insulating the exposed PVC sections between the keezer and the house - it looks like you have some neoprene on there already? Will that ever see any sun?

I have not as of yet placed a fan on the outside although it will be something I do. Being that it is cool here right now I have not installed it yet. I have not decided as to the best place to put it yet. I will need a small fan so if any suggestions that would be great. There is a fan in both the main unit and will be 1 and maybe 2 in the coffin for sure. As for the line going inside the house it has been wrapped with 3/4 inch insulation...The pipe is actually 2 pipes. There is a 3 inch PVC with a 2 inch inside it sprayed with foam inside between the 2 pipes. The clear hose then runs inside the 2 inch pipe. There will be no sun on this part. I made sure of that. Thanks for the reply and like I mentioned this my 1st attempt and I'm sure there will be hiccups.

I decided to go with the digital Loves Controller which will be mounted in the coffin area off to the side for easy viewing. With some help from my buddy Colton that lives across the street we got the controller installed and worked great. Got the insulation installed inside the Keezer and the top. I could not see any gaps when I did a light test so I'm hoping all is good. Time will tell if adjustments are needed. I found a great outside enclosure at Home Depot that has the same size view screen as the Love Controller. This will be painted and mounted. The enclosure opens up if you need to get to the controller. I drilled a hole and ran my wires along with fan wires through the plywood. The hole is on the outside and wont be an issue. The small 3/16 tubing that you see inside the Keezer is a drain line that will be installed to the drip tray so that beer and/or water will drain out the rear of the unit.

IMG_20131226_152924_293.jpg

IMG_20131226_152845_719.jpg

IMG_20131227_183919_658.jpg

IMG_20131227_184007_300.jpg

IMG_20140104_145120_372.jpg

I have not as of yet placed a fan on the outside although it will be something I do. Being that it is cool here right now I have not installed it yet. I have not decided as to the best place to put it yet. I will need a small fan so if any suggestions that would be great. There is a fan in both the main unit and will be 1 and maybe 2 in the coffin for sure. As for the line going inside the house it has been wrapped with 3/4 inch insulation...The pipe is actually 2 pipes. There is a 3 inch PVC with a 2 inch inside it sprayed with foam inside between the 2 pipes. The clear hose then runs inside the 2 inch pipe. There will be no sun on this part. I made sure of that. Thanks for the reply and like I mentioned this my 1st attempt and I'm sure there will be hiccups.

Dude - I think you have officially over killed it. :)

Well the backsplash/coffin is built. Decided to stay with the 3/4 treated which I treated again and will cover with the shower pan. Holes are cut for the taps. I decided to get the "back on the market" Vent-Matic S/S from the Chi-Company. Got them out of the bags and so far the look awesome. The backer board has been screwed and glued.

IMG_20140104_163811_100.jpg

IMG_20140105_110303_931.jpg

Ok the edge tiles are on. Could not find the exact match as the BBQ but do like what my better half picked out. Went with some 40lb felt paper that I had along with some screen to get it set up for stucco.

IMG_20140115_171817_958.jpg

IMG_20140115_171854_725.jpg

IMG_20140115_171909_765.jpg

IMG_20140117_095215_167.jpg

IMG_20140117_123125_489.jpg

More Pix...Coming Along. If you long close inside the coffin box I made it into 2 separate boxes. The front will have my 2 four inch holes with the fan along with a dryer hose to push the air into the box. The front will be full of insulation with a path for the air to travel. The rear is storage and where the wiring is hidden. I will take photos when time permits.

IMG_20140117_123132_357.jpg

IMG_20140117_123139_939.jpg

Nice work! What are you going to do to connect to the pool gate?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Nice work! What are you going to do to connect to the pool gate?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I had plenty of left over pool gate fence. Just got it done today. The pole next to the keezer has large loops in it so I can install a large umbrella. I will post photos later. Also got the front enclosure done but not mounted. Made it out of 10 gauge and painted With chalkboard black paint ...looks good. Will post later

Almost done. Got the outside front enclosure done yesterday. 10 gauge metal which was painted chalkboard for the pool party menus and whatever else the family wants to write. started to rain so I could not complete the touchup paint around the mounts. Fencing back up.. I will have round mounts on the fence post to install a large umbrella to keep the sun away.

IMG_20140202_084521_062.jpg

IMG_20140202_084344_588.jpg

Really nice job there, it looks great! A bit surprised you didn't tile the backsplash and even the coffin, but it still looks awesome!

Cheers!

Really nice job there, it looks great! A bit surprised you didn't tile the backsplash and even the coffin, but it still looks awesome!

Cheers!

The reason I kept it the way it looks is because it matches my BBQ. I like the southwestern look and that's what I went for. Best thing is that its pouring 33degree beer inside and outside. Time to start brewing my own.

Back