Kolsch; Too much 2-row?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Time-Travelers

Reaction score
I'm attempting to make the Summertime Klosch clone (Extract w/Grains) from the BYO Clone Recipe. The first ingredient is 1.0 oz (28 g) 2-Row Pale Malt (1.9 L).

I gave the guy at the LHBS my recipe and he gave me (and I used) 1.0 lb 2-Row Pale Malt.

Yesterday was day 28 in the primary and I'm ready to bottle. I took the hydro sample and a taste. My FG is 1.015. My wort in not clear by any means (almost looks like butterscotch) and the taste is not what I expected. I don't think it's 'bad', but it's just not 'right'...

In my infinite wisdom I decided it wasn't don't fermenting yet and I shook the crap out of it think I could 'stir up some activity' :eek:

I've crunch the numbers again and see I missed the OG too. As per the recipe with 1.0 oz it should have been OG 1.046 / FG 1.010

The 'recipe' on beersmith with the 1.0 lb; OG 1.054 / FG 1.013 I started at 1.054.

So now what? I know I need to leave it alone for awhile so everything can settle back down again, but what have I made using 1lb instead of 1oz? Can I 'fix' it?

p.s. can I keep priming sugar? I boiled up a batch before starting and didn't use it. Can I stick it in the fridge or should I dump it?

Thanks for your help!

What is the rest of the recipe? Kolsch is somewhat difficult with Extracts as they tend to darken it more than the grain would. I would leave it alone. You need to treat Kolsch like a lager and give it time to age and condition. If you used any strain of Kolsch yeast it will be very funky in the beginning due to the characteristics of the yeast. If the fermentation was warmer than it should be it will be more fruity and estery than it normally would.

I don't think using 15 ounces extra of two-row is a big deal. I haven't seen that recipe, and I would question 1 ounce of two-row anyway. That can't be right! So you're probably right on the recipe. Shaking it and reaerating it was a very bad idea, but what's done is done. At 1.015, that beer was finished.

Kolschs are usually lagered or cold conditioned for a bit, like a lager. That should help with the flavor.

You can save the priming solution. Reboil it for a minute or two, and you'll be fine.

At 1.015, that beer was finished.

Pretty high for a Koelsch though. Commercially, they finish about 1.011. I like mine around 1.008 to 1.010. I would have thrown some amylase in there to knock it down another couple of points.

I think for an extract kolsch it's probably right where it should be, though!

I skipped right over that - the pound of 2-row made me think it was AG (with a Pilsner base).

Maybe the OP can describe the "not right" taste in more detail?

Here's what my actual recipe turned out to be;

1 lb 2-row pale malt (1.9L)
1 lb 15 oz wheat malt (2.5L)
1 lb 10 oz light dried malt extract
3.3 lbs light liquid malt extract
1 oz Tettanger bittering (60 mins)
.5 Tettanger flavoring (30 mins)
.5 Saaz flavoring (30 mins)
1 whirlfoc (15 mins)
.25 Tettanger aroma (5 mins)
.25 Saaz aroma (5 mins)
1 pkg Wyeast 2565 Liquid Kolsch Yeast

Pitched yeast at 73F and fermented at 58-62F (28-days).

Other than the fermentation temperature there were no other instructions on how long to ferment. I've tucked it away again and will leave it alone for another 2-4 weeks.

I'm sorry I can't describe what it tasted like (I need more experience in this area ;) maybe sweet, thick... it absolutely was not clear, clean nor crisp.

Is it possible that it just needs more time... How much damage have I done my mixing it all up again? What is amylase? When do you use it and should I try it?

I think I'm going to pick up a bottle or two of Kolsch to see what it's 'supposed' to taste like...

Thank you again for your help!

I bet I know why it's just that 1 oz. of 2-row in the kolsch. I heard about this technique on the Jamil Show.

A lot of extracts are mashed at around 152ish, which is a little warm for a kolsch, and it ends up not attenuated enough. So you essentially "remash" the extract with a small amount of milled grain. If you mash low enough the enzymes go to town on the more complex sugars and you end up with a more fermentable beer from the extract.

Pitching at 73 probably gave you some fruity flavors as well.

Amylases are enzymes that break down starches to sugars. They are the primary enzymes we rely on during mashing. They work - very slowly - even at cool temperatures.

What exactly did you do with the 2 row and wheat?

I put the grains in 3-qrts water @ 159F and steeped at 148F for 45 mins. I then put the grains in a colander over my brewpot which already had 2-gals water @170F. I poured my 'grain tea' through the grains and then rinsed the grains with an additional 1.5 qrts water @ 170F. From that point I stirred in the dried malt extract and brought to a boil and boiled for 60 mins adding hops as indicated. At the end of the boil I added the liquid malt extract and covered brewpot for 5-mins before cooling.

I no longer have the yeast package, but I believe that the instructions indicated something along the lines of pitching in-between 70-75 and thats why I pitched at 73... My notes (which I'm assuming I got from the package) also included 'maintain temp until signs of fermentation then ferment @ 58-60F', I stored @ 72F on 1/21. On 1-23 I relocated to the basement 58-62F.

Amylases are enzymes that break down starches to sugars. They are the primary enzymes we rely on during mashing. They work - very slowly - even at cool temperatures.

agree, I brew a lotof Kolsch. And I have noticed pitching cold gets you beter results. I cool my wort and starter to 58F and then pitch

Let me add another element to the equation;

I did not top up the fermenter to 5-gallons. I only added enough water to reach the SG of 1.054 (using BeerSmith with the additional quantity of 15 oz of 2-row). The original recipe using 1-oz of 2-row SG would have been 1.046.

Looking at the fermenter (glass carboy) and measuring an approximate amount of water into a second carboy, I would estimate the total volume to be about 4.25 gallons...

Now what? Have you ever added water after fermentation? Or brewed a higher concentration beer?

p.s. I am not set up to do lagering yet, however our temps during the next week are going to be highs; 35-40, lows; 30-35. Is there any benefit to storing it in the garage for a week at these cooler temps?

Thanks again!

Back